This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

White Screen After Trying to install Zorin

CGZTROMCTSML

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15:09 pm

I don't know how forums work so I apologize if I put this in the wrong section or something. But basically I have an acer computer and I'm currently running Windows Vista. I've been trying for days to get Zorin on my computer but when I think I'm about to install it, something just sets me back. I burned Zorin os 5.2 and 6 core to two DVD-Rs and I burned them with ISO recorder on 4x speed.

When I put the disk inside and start the computer, it sends me to this lovely 'splash' page with the options to boot from live cd, and start installer directly, etc. Every Option I choose (except memtest) sends me to this faded completely white page with a blinking "_" (i forgot the name of this) symbol. Nothing happens after that. It happens with both cds. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is this a hardware problem or a cd problem? Should I re-download it?

I downloaded the iso's from the zorin website. And I'm a complete noob to linux. That's why I thought It would be an easier transition to use zorin. Thanks if you can help me out.

CGZTROMCTSML

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:26:04 pm

I'll try to disable Revo and I'll get back to you If I have any other problems or when I successfully install Zorin. Thanks for your time and assistance.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:42:17 am

Hi,

you said you burned the disk at 4 x speed, is that the slowest speed available to you??.

Have you tried the disk on another PC???.

Regards Wolfman :D

CGZTROMCTSML

Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:46:58 am

Yes 4x is the lowest possible speed. I tried it on different computers but they didn't work. And that's because all the computers in my house are from Acer. I'm just assuming the disks work because both take me to the splash background and give me the options to start installer directly, boot form live cd etc etc. Now about the Revo thing, I was looking through the BIOS advanced options, and there wasn't anything that had to do with Revo. My compter was made in I think 2008 or 2007. Do computers that old have Revo?

Wolfman

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:22:27 am

Hi,

can you try a USB install to see if that will help??, also; if the disk doesn't work on other PC's, you may need to re-download the ISO from a different mirror and burn it again.

Or you can try downloading another ISO on a different PC and burn it there, your CD/DVD drive might be knackered!!.

Let us know if this helps!!.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10:33 am

Hi,

another question, does your PC have an Nvidia card??, I have filed a bug report about them and that may be part of the puzzle!!.

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44:11 am

As WM said, try installing zorin from a live USB.
If yoru pc/laptop does not support booting from USB, follow my guide here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2113