This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

smaller buttons in panel - possible ?

2moldy4me

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:55:15 pm

In ZorinOS 5.2 the closest it can be gotten to the very plain appearance of win2k is desired - and also it is desirable to un-mess the application entries in the Gnome panel.
I tried searching here for related previous queries & answers=> but look what I got ?!?!:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: gnome panel.

Very un-helpful I'd say...

So instead I must ask=>
The Gnome panel shows each application entry as icon+text; and when there are 4 or more entries the text becomes shortened & useless. The Compiz 'preview' feature is also on and it is very helpful.
I've seen mention of a width setting for the Window List Applet, but this is missing in mine...

Question:
Is there any way by which the application entries in Gnome panel may be made much smaller - perhaps if they may be set to only display their icon and NO text ?
I have seen something like this in use by others, but have no idea how to create this (very neat) effect in ZorinOS.

Thanks.

2moldy4me

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:19:53 pm

Thanks Swarfendor437 for both replies.
As to the first posting's suggestions, I re-tried all that and it didn't help at all.
The 2nd one is about height - which is not what I am asking about.

Imagine what I mean this way if you will, please:
Firefox is open - and now it's tab has it's icon and the window title.
But since 4-5 other things are open the title is cut-off and of no use at all.

I am asking if the window titles can be gone somehow from those tabs, leaving only their icons.

Thanks !

TequilaMex

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:53:17 am

try adding the "task manager" applet on the panel

2moldy4me

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:58:46 pm

TequilaMex wrote:try adding the "task manager" applet on the panel

Hi TequilaMex and thanks for replying.
I went to 'add to panel' and there is no entry for anything called "task manager" in the applet list.
Is this something one must download and install manually ?

Thanks.

2moldy4me

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:55:44 pm

Wow - how has my query gone from application entries in the PANEL=> to Firefox ???
Firefox is 100% fine.
It is the Gnome Panel I am asking about.

Wolfman

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10:46 pm

Hi,

what DE are you running with Z5, is it XP or Gnome??, you have spoken about Gnome but I just want to be clear!.

Regards Wolfman :D

2moldy4me

Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30:48 pm

From what I can tell it is Gnome - certainly what I refer to is the Gnome Panel.
Wolfman wrote:what DE are you running with Z5, is it XP or Gnome??, you have spoken about Gnome but I just want to be clear!.

Is there a precise/exact manner in when I can verify which DE is running, please ?

2moldy4me

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:41:30 pm

OK, so it's definitely Gnome, and I am for sure talking about what isn't seen in any of those screenshots - which is the entries which appear in the small gray panel (bar) at the bottom when things are open.
Much the same as they do in the win-doze taskbar.

My query remains the same:
Is there any way to shorten the right-to-left size of those - perhaps to the size of just their icons - because once 4-5 things are in use the text serves no useful purpose any longer (it just becomes a truncated mess).

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47:16 am

Hi,

all I can find for Gnome DE is using Dconf Editor:

dconf-editor > org > gnome > gnome panel > layout > bottom panel

That said, it doesn't seem to do much but I am using Zorin 6 and maybe on 5 it will work!!.

Configuration Editor_006.png
Configuration Editor_006.png (118.39 KiB)

2moldy4me

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:36:23 pm

Well I guess this must be impossible in ZorinOS 5.2 then.

Every suggestion has been tried and a few not from here besides - but...nuttin happens.

Dconf-editor was a huge updating process before it finally opened, and still no joy.

I know I've seen smaller application entries for sure; my imagination is just not so good as for me to have imagined this.
Perhaps it is time to consider this a forlorn hope in this OS...

But still - thanks for trying !!!

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:33:05 am

Hi,

have you added the gnome themes packages??.

Open Synaptic then type: "gnome themes" and look and see if there are any further packages that you can install that will help you.

Synaptic Package Manager _008.png
Synaptic Package Manager _008.png (179.88 KiB)

TequilaMex

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00:55 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I think TequilaMex's response was based on 6 - not 5.2! Task Manager is part of Awn Settings in 6!

sorry for my mistake