This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Using VMs in ZorinOS (Virtualbox = Useless garbage.)

2moldy4me

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:34:36 pm

Edit:
I'm done with the Virtualbox rubbish; see my later post in this thread if desired for details.
Moving along to other VM alternatives which I very much hope will WORK !!!

OK=> my latest HUGE time waster: Virtualbox.

Oddly, it's site says that it supports adding/importing a bunch of filetypes as of V4, but the version which came with ZorinOS does NOT.
(Well OK, maybe it does - but IF so, it is very, very, very well hidden as I've not found any evidence of this after DAYS of trying to make it work.)

Here is some interesting info I've found:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions
VirtualBox and open source

Before version 4.0, there were two editions of VirtualBox: a full binary containing all features and an "Open Source Edition" (OSE) with source code. With version 4.0, there is only one version any more, which is open source, and the closed-source components have been moved to a separate extension pack.

See the Downloads page for details.

As of version 4.0 we also no longer require third-party builds of VirtualBox to be distributed under the name of VirtualBox OSE. However we do still kindly request that they be clearly marked as third-party builds in some way, and that the version string (the "VBOX_VERSION_STRING" build variable), which appears at the top of the log file, be changed to reflect this.

And what comes pre-installed appears to be version 4 AND marked 'ose'....I wonder why ?

Now look here:
http://techthrob.com/2009/03/02/virtualization-in-linux-a-review-of-four-software-choices/
Installing VirtualBox
Correction: The Open Source Edition (OSE) of VirtualBox is, in fact, available through the Ubuntu repositories, but that is not the version used here. Thanks to Daniel of ibeentoubuntu.blogspot.com for pointing this out!

I can only speak for myself - but amongst the things in the tech world I seriously despise you will find near the TOP of that list=> installing and/or re-installing an OS. Nasty. Time consuming. Should be avoidable.

So...just WHY would I wish to re-install win-doze for use as a VM when it is already installed & usable & legal on my NB ???!!!
Therefore I've tried to use it in ZorinOS as a VM...and tried...and tried...and tried.
Utter and complete failure is ALL there is to show for my efforts.

My next move:
I'm about to yank out VB by the ugly hair upon it's greasy little head - and MAYBE try re-installing it directly from the VB site -just- to see if it is more complete...maybe.
Other than that it is clear from what I've seen that VMWare is a smarter AND likely more functional option.

As always, I am WIDE open to being taught (I claim no personal knowledge in the VM realm EXCEPT for what I've seen NOT work in the last week or 2 !!!) and I will greatly appreciate any tips, help, pointers and so on which any kind souls will share with me here.

Thanks.

2moldy4me

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:07:53 pm

I cannot claim to have any clues as to the why & how of all this, but the NASTY - oh, yes !!!

The ose version is now GONE from my PC, and the regular VB site's download sloooowly installed as I typed this,
And now...GUESS WHAT ???!!!

Useless garbage.
It is yet a further waste of time and equally useless as the ose version.
It claims to open & add all the filetypes which I have wasted time creating & converting them to - and:
IT DOES NOT USE ANY OF THEM !!!!!!!!!

Time to get real here and find something that actually WORKS.

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:04:00 am

Hi,

can we mark this thread as solved or do you have something specific you want to ask??.

I don't use VM's so I cannot help in any way; shape or form!!.

You can take a look here if you wish, it is a start at least:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware

Regards Wolfman :D

2moldy4me

Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52:38 pm

Please do not:
Wolfman wrote:can we mark this thread as solved or do you have something specific you want to ask??.

This problem is not even CLOSE to being solved !!!

I am also still at this effort and VERY likely will have other pertinent questions to seek help with.
VMware is an option, and I just found where I'd stashed Win4Lin last night as well (yes, it is discontinued - and I've had it since they dropped it in like...2009...and forgot to look for it until now !!!)

This is a very important subject IMO because ZorinOS is targeted towards users migrating AWAY from win-doze.

Related background=>
Many, many, many win-doze apps have NO true Linux replacements=> a few examples from my own desktop are:
Foxmail, UltraRecall, Atlantis and a number of programs I use to make backups of bought DVDs.
For these and a few others I want them installed and 100% ready to use in a VM rather than via WINE.

Also, my living situation pertains to my query as I am learning more about ZorinOS in 2 places with my notebook (here) m-th; and the desktop (elsewhere) friday-sunday - therefore I cannot test solutions to some of the problems I've come into until friday comes around again...

Thanks.

Wolfman

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:24:32 am

Hi,

as I stated; I don't use it but I fired off a question for the devs to see if they have a solution. We will have to await a response, which may be a while!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:30:24 am

I have installed oracle virtual box 4.1.1.18 and through it I have installed Win7 in my ubuntu PC.
I had also to:
i) Add my user to the "vboxusers" through "users & groups". (you can install this by installing in terminal sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools)
ii) Install the guest additions through menu>devices.
iii) Install the "VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".

Everything seems to be running just great. CDs and USBs are recognized, I have even installed microsoft office 2003. It's running fast and properly. I am so happy that I will perform a clean install of Linux taking up my whole HDD (I presently have it in dual boot) and just leave 16GB for the win7 virtual box.
I just need windows for some publisher files (very essential for my work) and I believe that the VM solution is all I need. I am not in favor of dual boots to be honest...

2moldy4me

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:54:08 am

Thanks for replying Madvinegar.
Your findings (though showing positive results) do not apply to the problem I had with VB at all.

What I tried to accomplish was getting it to import/open various P2V VMs which were made from an existing installation of XP - which it refused to recognize AT ALL.
I also ran it as both user & root with no differences whatever.

For anyone wishing to help with MY stated needs for using a VM, please see my other posts.
Thanks.

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34:03 am

Is this helpfull at all? http://www.sysprobs.com/physical-virtua ... ualbox-p2v

There are also a lot sub-links included in the above link.

2moldy4me

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:56:16 pm

Thanks for trying Madvinegar.

As previously noted, I am DONE wasting time & life on that horrible VB garbage.
The problem with it inside of ZorinOS/Ubuntu is that it will NOT even acknowledge the files it claims to use.
This happens no matter the permissions or user.

I thank you for the effort - and need to bring your attention to some facts in those articles:
1. They are about -Sun- VB and -NOT- Oracle VB.
2. They are shown using those tools, etc. in win-doze.

My focus now is on finding better tools than VB; I wasted too much time on it already.
Thanks.

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:58:42 pm

Sorry, I am just using VB to run win7 very rarely and only when needed. I have not searched in depth anything else beyond that.
Do you have any alternative to VirtualBox?

2moldy4me

Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31:32 pm

Hi Madvinegar.
From an earlier post in this thread:
"VMware is an option, and I just found where I'd stashed Win4Lin last night as well (yes, it is discontinued - and I've had it since they dropped it in like...2009...and forgot to look for it until now !!!)"
I'll try them, time & space allowing & likely have more questions after that...
Thanks.