This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Compiz Effects on OS 6

sfeltch

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:28:08 pm

I'm really liking the new Zorin OS 6. A recent convert from Windows to linux and still searching for a desktop that suits me.

I need a little help.... I have effects activated in Compiz that are not working on the desktop. For instance. Burn to close, Magic Lamp, to open and Dockj. Also the cube isn't working for me. I must be missing something. I am running in VirtualBox and have 3D accel.... activated.

I do not believe it is my machine because I have been successful with Lubuntu and compiz as a WM. And all features mentioned above worked. So should work in Zorin OS 6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Feltch

madvinegar

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:44:01 pm

Please post the result of
Code:
lspci
to see what is your GPU. Even though I don't really know if the virtual box affects the settings.

sfeltch

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:20:25 pm

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:06.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
00:0d.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)

Wolfman

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:38:40 pm

Hi,

try this before we go any further:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

sfeltch

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33:50 pm

Ok, did all that and no change. However I do have some more info to report. Here is how it is shaking out.

1) In Zorin OS Windows 7 mode (What I want to work in) - compiz effects not working.
2) Switch to Gnome and login - compiz effects working but no window controls or borders.

Perhaps this gives some more in-site.. dont know. I'm to new to linux to have a knowledge of what is going on behind the scene. Hope you can help. It seems that no matter which Desktop I pick to try, something is not working or is mis-configured in one manner or the other. This seems to be my only beef with making a complete switch from windows to linux right now.

Help me make the change!

Thanks in advance for your help.

madvinegar

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10:34 pm

What version of virtual box do you have? Is it the latest one? 4.1.1.18? (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
If not, download and install the latest one, install latest guest additions (accessible from the VM "Devices" menu), reboot and try again.

Have you tried running a live CD or live USB directly to your PC to see if the 3D effects work? Or you only want to use Zorin through virtual box?

sfeltch

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:55:50 pm

Thanks Madvinegar. I am running the newest version of virtualbox. Even so I did do a reinstall and tried again. Compiz effects didnt work from the 1st run even the second install.

I want to set up a linux desktop eventually to replace my windows enviornment but am not willing to until I get as close as I can to what I want hence running on virtualbox at the moment.

sfeltch

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00:27 pm

As I stated above the effects work when I enter a gnome session but not in Zorin session. Dont think it is pointing to virtualbox.

And I ran 5.2 and had the effects. Believe it is something else. Did a reinstall and same thing happens.

sfeltch

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:22:30 pm

ok, I thank you all for your help. I have booted the live system from the CD on another computer. My desktop PC and not my portable which I have been testing this on. I wanted to put Zorin on my Desktop but didnt like messing with so so was testing on my portable. Compiz effects are working when booting from the live system. I can hope that they will work when I install on my desktop.

So, it must have been some limitation with my portable or swarfender437 might have been on the right track with it being virtualbox. Either way I am satisfied to try to put it on my desktop.

At this point I consider this solved.

Thank you again for your help. It is a wonderful community.

Scott

sfeltch

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:09:59 am

SUCCESS! I currently have installed Zorin OS 6 on my desktop. Converted from Windows! Updated and effects working. I'm excited cant you tell! Now for the fun stuff... Learning all over again.

Thanks Again!

madvinegar

Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:54:22 am

Great news and congrats to you! You could have tested Zorin in your desktop before installing. Just by running the live CD and booting up to the live session you do not mess at all with your PC. Actually this is the whole point of the live CDs. Try before you install.

sfeltch

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57:41 am

Yea madvinegar... your right . Must have had a mind block. In the end that is what I did, but it took days to register.

Thanks Again