This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

interesting issue after updates installed

efwis

Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:50:15 am

ok, first off, I'm not new to Linux, used to use Knoppix back in 95, then started using OpenSuse, migrated to Ubuntu when it first came out, and now I use Zorin OS 6. after I installed it I did the updates that were needed but now on the login screen it shows Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as the system instead of Zorin OS like it did when i first installed it. How can I go about resetting this since I know I'm not using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, however I like showing people the name of the OS I'm using when I login.

I have looked everywhere for the answer to this and I have also looked in all the known files or possible locations that would deal with this.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:33:55 am

Hi,

did you format your home partition before you installed Zorin??, it sounds to me like you have remnants of Ubuntu!!. That said, don't forget that ZorinOS is based on Ubuntu and you will find that the login screen is a part of that!!.

If you didn't format your home partition, you will have all sorts of config files (possibly) left over from Ubuntu!!.

Does your PC boot into a Zorin interface??.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47:03 am

WM if this problem happened after the update, is there also posibility that one of the updates was a distro upgrade...?

If that is the case you need probably to re-install and go to your update manager settings and change to "never" the distro upgrades...

efwis

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:12:43 pm

i always wipe the hdd before installing a new OS just to avoid that issue.

as for the upgrade question, this showed up after I followed the post installation steps that were posted in the sticky. At least the steps I needed to use. Also, I have distro upgrade set to never in my update manager. I really don't want to have to reinstall for this little issue when I know it is possible to fix it without reinstalling, i just need to know which file and where it is to fix it.

Hope this helps.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09:31 am

Hi,

try looking through this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

then you should look at "Broken Files" and see if this is a fix for you!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

spavila

Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35:54 pm

I just started having the same problem Efwis was having today in that the login screen was showing ubuntu 12.04 instead of Zorin OS 6 in the lower left hand corner of the screen. This happened on my old laptop using Zorin OS 6 32-bit that I had to create a non-pae install. After searching the Internet on how to fix this problem, it had something to do with the unity-greeter.

Listed below is how I fixed the problem:
1. Goto the /usr/share/unity-greeter folder. In this folder, look for the file logo.png. At this time, I opened the file with a viewer and it had the ubuntu 12.04 LTS logo. Then using a sudo nautilus, I renamed this file to logo(old).png. I rebooted my computer and the logo disappeared.
2. I have another computer with Zorin OS 6 installed. Going to the /usr/share/unity-greeter folder, I looked for the logo.png and opened it. This .png file had the Zorin OS 6 logo. I copied the logo.png to a flash drive.
3. Went back to my laptop and inserted the flash drive containing the correct logo.png file. Opened a terminal and started sudo nautilus. Navigated to the /usr/share/unity-greeter folder and copied the logo.png from my flash drive to the hard drive. Did a reboot and now the Zorin OS 6 logo is now displaying!!

Hope this is helpful...

Revised 3/3/2013
Change ".pgn" to ".png"
Thank you Swarf for catching my typographical error.