This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin OS 6 64-bit does not like my NVIDIA card

spavila

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09:11 am

Downloaded Zorin OS 6 64-bit and had a successful install. The computer likes my onboard graphics card; however, my NVIDIA GeForce GT240 is not displaying properly.

I also noticed that Wolfman posted an NVIDIA bug report announcement; but did not know if this referred to Zorin OS 5.2 or Zorin OS 6 or both. When installing Zorin OS 5.2, I did have problems with my GeForce GT240 video card; but was able to fix it with help from the forum.

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1681

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13:09 am

Hi,

please see this post:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2053

The part about Nvidia and 3rd party PPA.

There is a bug at the mo, please be patient until a fix is available!!.

Until then, please use the onboard drivers which work fine unless you really want exotic 3D or something!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

spavila

Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:40:33 am

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The link you provided gave me more insight into this problem. Not sure if I want to install the 3rd party PPA. I'll keep an eye out for updates in the forum.

spavila

Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:27:05 am

I can see!! Please mark this as SOLVED.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:16:46 am

Great! Did you install the nvidia 3rd party PPA as WM suggested?

spavila

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:17:11 am

Opened a terminal and typed sudo apt-get install nvidia-current. At this point, I was still using the onboard graphics. Modified BIOS to start using graphics card but was still having problems when logging in. Then, I noticed you could login via Zorin Desktop (Fallback Mode). Once logged into Fallback Mode, I was able to go to the additional drivers and install them; and everything was fine.