This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] USB install / syslinux

Udie2

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:53:29 am

The computer I am trying to test boot and then install zorin on is already running Linux mint 12 and it work great. But I thought I would test Zorin on it and I will not boot from the usb. I know it is set up to work because it goes to a screen that says

Syslinux 4.03 2010-10-22 EDD Copyright (c) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al

and thats it. This is a gateway computer NV59C, Intel core i3-370m Processor w/4 gigs ram. I would think that this machine should have no problem running Zorin since i am running it on HP tc4200 with 1.5 gig ram. Not even half the machine the gateway is. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit version with the same results.

madvinegar

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:20:02 am

What is the GPU of your laptop? Have you tried booting in safe graphics mode?

Have you tried the USB in another computer to see if it works? (Just to eliminate the possibility that the .iso was problematic or the preparation of the live usb was faulty).
Also, have you tried preparing a live CD and see if that works?

Udie2

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:11:18 am

I have been trying the 6.0 Version, I have tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions
NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 Graphics card

Cant boot the safe graphics mode because it never gets to that menu. My son has a gateway also and it will not work on it either.

The USB works because that is what I am using to send this message on a different machine.

No I have not done the Live CD, I will try that next

madvinegar

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:19:56 am

Indeed, try the CD option and let us know. Please make sure to burn it at lowest possible speed.

Udie2

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:40:46 am

The live CD worked just fine. Strange how the USB worked in one machine but did not in another

madvinegar

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:27:35 am

Excellent. Should we mark this thread as "solved" then?

Udie2

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:08:33 am

Yes
But im going start another on why one computer will not use wireless and wep and the other will.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59:48 am

I suppose it's because not all computers have the same wireless cards. Some cards are recognized by default from the latest kernel, some others may just need the right firmware.