This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

small questions=>2. can ZorinOS use WAV files for...?

2moldy4me

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:01:39 pm

Here I am moving on with some small questions for which I've tried to find answers - but to no avail.
(I repeat some text below for anyone who's not seen what I posted earlier, sorry for repeating.)

Premise:
ZorinOS wishes to attract users away from ween-doze (a beautiful thing !).

Assertion:
Given the above, making the OS more comfortable/familiar can only be desirable.

Background:
Many (former ?) ween-doze users have large collections of favourite WAV files, which their former OS used easily for effects when system events happened.

My second question is:
Is there a simple way to make ZorinOS use these similarly to how ween-doze does for such things ?

Thanks for any help.

MMTMM

Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:09:03 am

You are good to go with WAV files on Linux. Rock-ON! (I'm listening to WAV files right now on Zorin Lite.) However, if you are talking about "System Sounds"... beeps, bongs, and such, they have to be converted to .ogg files. If you want to convert WAV to OGG, install "soundconverter" on your system to make them compatible.

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:21:00 pm

GREAT info, thanks MMTMM !!!
However, if you are talking about "System Sounds"... beeps, bongs, and such, they have to be converted to .ogg files. If you want to convert WAV to OGG, install "soundconverter" on your system to make them compatible.

Does that bulk-convert WAV files too somehow ?

Now if there's a nice, easy way to bulk-convert WAV as well as ANI files it'll totally make my day !!!
Thanks.

MMTMM

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:54:25 pm

Yes, soundconverter will bulk convert .wav files. (I threw 34 files on it in the pic below.) But this program is just for audio type files. You'll have to find something else for ANI files.

Then, go to Edit > Preferences to set the output to .ogg files.

You should just install in through synaptic or terminal [sudo apt-get install soundconverter] and try it out to see how easy it is. If you don't like it, [sudo apt-get remove soundconverter].

Hope this helps.

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:50:49 pm

SUPERB HELP - Thank you SOOO MUCH MMTMM !!!
This is now on my list for the weekend - and I very much hope I do not get 'taken away' as I was last weekend...