This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved!] 4. can ZorinOS use .ICO files ?

2moldy4me

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14:57 pm

Here I am moving on with some small questions for which I've tried to find answers - but to no avail.
(I repeat some text below for anyone who's not seen what I posted earlier, sorry for repeating.)

Premise & assertion:
ZorinOS wishes to attract users away from ween-doze (a beautiful thing !).
Given the above, making the OS more comfortable/familiar can only be desirable.

Background:
Custom-made and/or chosen icons are very well-loved by ween-doze users.
Some (like myself...) have favourite ones, which their former OS used very easily.

The fourth and last (for now !) of these questions, is:
What file types may be used for customizing icon choices and (...if .ICO files cannot be used, what is there that is easy to convert them with and...) then to make ZorinOS use these files as may be desired ?

Thanks for any help.

MMTMM

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:50:58 am

Typically, .png images are used for icons. All sources of icons on the web offer .ico, .png, and whatever mac uses. Here is a good place to start. http://findicons.com/ Find an icon, click on it, and it will give you format and size choices for download. And, they can be customized any way you want in Gimp.

Auldyin

Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:24:30 am

Hi 2moldy4me

If you want to use your existing Windows Icons open them in Image Viewer and use Save As and change the .ico to .png or .jpg in the name.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2moldy4me

Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59:40 pm

TaaaDaaa !!!
Auldyin wrote:If you want to use your existing Windows Icons open them in Image Viewer and use Save As and change the .ico to .png or .jpg in the name.

So the easy answer for me is to bulk convert any ICO files I want to re-use...simple !!!

Thanks for the replies folks.