This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(NOT SOLVED but closed) Help with logout sound Zorin 6

tbarry1a

Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38:54 pm

Anyone know how to play a sound when logging out of Zorin 6? I tried creating tjis simple script in my ~/bin directory:

#!/bin/bash
## play logout sound
/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-logout"

Then I added the following to the .bash_logout

# ~/.bash_logout: executed by bash(1) when login shell exits.

# when leaving the console clear the screen to increase privacy

if [ "$SHLVL" = 1 ]; then
[ -x /usr/bin/clear_console ] && /usr/bin/clear_console -q
fi

# Play Logout Sound

[ -x /home/tom/bin/zorinlogout ]

But the logout sound doesn't seem to play. Maybe I am putting it in the wrong place. It seems to play when I enter the command from the terminal. Any suggestions??

tbarry1a

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:56:12 pm

Thanks swarfendor437, but nothing seems to work. I cannot get any event sounds to work. I was able to put a login sound into the startup and that works, but any event sound do not even though I have them enabled in the ubuntu tweak tool as well as the dconf-editor. I can't make it play a sound when logging out or when shutting down either. I googled around and someone indicated that there seems to be an issue with compbiz? Are you able to control event sounds?

Wolfman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40:25 pm

Hi,

I can't get login sounds in any Ubuntu based system; regardless of what I do, I think this is a problem with Ubuntu in general but will wait to stand corrected because it has puzzled me too!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

tbarry1a

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:27:36 pm

Thanks Wolfman for the confirmation. I was really racking my brains. I feel better knowing that others are puzzled as well. I will wait as well.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:04:31 pm

Hi,

I found this, might be the reason why we are both having a problem!!.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable ... ecise.html

tbarry1a

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04:25 pm

Thanks,

That solves the login sound, but what about other event sounds like desktop logout, reboot etc?

Wolfman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:12:34 pm

tbarry1a wrote:Thanks,

That solves the login sound, but what about other event sounds like desktop logout, reboot etc?

I'll let you know as soon as I get a job with Ubuntu :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wolfman

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:19:58 am

Hi,

they don't make it easy, please see this link!!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/138282/h ... untu-12-04

tbarry1a

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:43:26 pm

Wolfman,

I tried adding the shutdown sound per the link, but I couldn't get it to work. I didn't add the mp3 package that they recommended. I stuck with the canberra player that plays the ogg files. The script runs fine when called from bash, but doesn't work when adding it to the rc0.d and rc6.d . Were you able to get it to work?

tbarry1a

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:20:53 pm

I can't even get the event sounds like "empty trash" to play even though I have them enabled using the Ubuntu Tweak and the Dconf-editor

madvinegar

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:55:20 pm

In sound settings>sound effects, is the bar set to "ON" and the volume set to "high"?

tbarry1a

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04:08 pm

Yes it is. In fact I hear sounds when I go between the default, bark, drip etc. Very strange. Do you get a sound when you empy the trash? You should if your event sounds is turned on and you have a valid sound theme. But, I don't.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:17:46 am

Hi,

I don't really know but I would say that this is another bug in the great world of Gnome 3, maybe the devs at Gnome are working on a fix for this, sad to say that KDE is slowly becoming a viable option to Gnome what with all its problems concerning configuration etc!!.

I for one am not going to worry about such a small problem and I cannot find a proper fix anyway!!. :(

Sorry but I am all out of ideas! :(

tbarry1a

Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:21:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Wolfman. I guess it is a small problem, but it really bugs the heck out of me. It seems like a very basic thing to be able to have event sounds. Kind of disappointing in that respect. I have a feeling that it has been an issue for awhile though, because I tried booting up on Zorin 5.2 and it seems to be an issue there as well. I'm sure it is an issue with Ubuntu in general. I'm sure that if you feel that it is such a small problem that the Ubuntu developers at large probably feel the same. I guess I will stop fixating on this quirk and try to enjoy the rest of the OS.