This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] problem removing indicator-message

roachyang

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59:02 am

Dear Zorin users, I'm using Zorin 6. And I have encountered a problem when trying to remove the chat icon in the awn.
As you can see from the attached image, after I remove the indicator-message, the applet just keep loading, and got an error message.
Any idea how to solve this?

before removing indicator-message
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.21 KiB)

after removing indicator-message
after.png
after.png (18.46 KiB)

error message
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (20.24 KiB)

Wolfman

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:24:29 am

Hi,

basically you just need to re-add the applets you removed using the AWN settings manager!!.

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

The messages keep coming thick and fast, click on the box telling it not to mention it again. (Ignore future ..............) There is a post about disabling these messages but I cannot find it now, where is MV when you need him??.

Also you can check your hardware:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/

Regards Wolfman :D

roachyang

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:54:59 am

Sorry. Still not working. Maybe I didn't make it clear. I want to remove the chat icon, but keep the applet.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.3 KiB)

The applet is "Indicator 3 Applet". When I tried to remove the chat icon using "apt-get remove indicator-message". I get the problem described above. I tried to remove the applet and then add it to awn again. But it still keeps loading. I have to install the indicator-message again.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28:53 am

Do this:
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove indicator-messages

logout and login back (or reboot) to see the changes.

If you want to get it back do:
Code:
sudo apt-get install indicator-messages

Logout and login (or reboot) to see the changes.

roachyang

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03:49 am

I did logout and login, I also rebooted. But the problem persist.
No one encountered the same problem?

Wolfman

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:39:59 am

roachyang wrote:Sorry. Still not working. Maybe I didn't make it clear. I want to remove the chat icon, but keep the applet.
Untitled.png

The applet is "Indicator 3 Applet". When I tried to remove the chat icon using "apt-get remove indicator-message". I get the problem described above. I tried to remove the applet and then add it to awn again. But it still keeps loading. I have to install the indicator-message again.

Hi Roachyang,

I too am sorry, I should have pointed out that in some cases you cannot remove an individual applet, the message indicator is one you cannot remove without removing a whole block of applets!!.

An alternative to AWN is to use "Cario Dock" which can be customised better!.

roachyang

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:22:23 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi Roachyang,

I too am sorry, I should have pointed out that in some cases you cannot remove an individual applet, the message indicator is one you cannot remove without removing a whole block of applets!!.

An alternative to AWN is to use "Cario Dock" which can be customised better!.

I just thought there are some redundant icons, and would be great if they can be removed.
Since in traditional gnome look, you can remove individual applet and still keep the whole block, so I thought it was a bug, and hoping it can be fixed.
Thanks anyway.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10:42 am

Hi,

I use the Gnome 2 look as I find it better!!, did you take a look at this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

roachyang

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25:37 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

I use the Gnome 2 look as I find it better!!, did you take a look at this guide:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=2054

I tried Gnome 2 look, but I found some problems too. See the pictures below. As you can see, I can not see all the applications in the menu. It's like the menu is trying to confine all applications in a small region. I have to scroll up and down to see other applications. I have no idea how to solve this.
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (223.32 KiB)

Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (192.57 KiB)

Screenshot3.png
Screenshot3.png (193.19 KiB)

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:41:39 pm

Hi,

I think it is because you have the Gnome panel on the bottom, press Alt + Superkey (Windows key) then then right click on the panel holding the keys down then go to properties and set the panel to "Top". (If you want to add another panel, move the current (main) one to the top first!!)

See if that helps!!.

roachyang

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33:50 pm

This does solve the problem. Thanks for your help!!