This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Clearing Update Manager

URTHJ

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53:37 pm

Using Zorin 6.0 x64, and have followed all of Wolfman's post-install recommendations. (And things have been running great for the past couple of weeks, as they had before with 5.2.)

Over the past four or so days, when I open "Update Manager," it loads and states "Software Updates are Available for this Computer." It shows nothing in the update box, but then says "1 update has been selected. 85KB will be downloaded." Again, nothing shows under "Changes" or "Description".

When I click on "Install Updates" the blue bar quickly goes from zero to 100%, and then I'm left with the exact same messages as described in the prior paragraph. I can then "Check" for updates and Update Manager goes through "Updating Cache", finishes, shows no new updates, but I'm still left with the same messages as described in the prior paragraph. And going through "Install Updates" produces the same result as before.

I've tried fixing broken packages via Synaptic, and I've tried doing an update through Terminal ("sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".) No change.

It sounds as though I need to clear the cache Update Manager uses. If so, how? If not, other ideas?

Many thanks!

madvinegar

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:17:14 pm

You could open terminal and write:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoclean

This removes partial packages from the system.

Also,
Code:
sudo apt-get clean

This command is to clean/remove .deb packages that apt caches when you install/update programs.

and
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove

This command removes packages that were installed by other packages and are no longer needed.

You could also go to the Synaptics package manager, click on the status button, select the "Residual config" option, mark the packages for removal and click "apply".

URTHJ

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:32:26 pm

Thanks, madviniger, for the suggestions. I entered all three of the them thru the terminal, and still have this annoying (although hardly show-stopping) problem with Update Manager and this mysterious 85 KB update....

madvinegar

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:46:52 am

Try also this:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update

Wolfman

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44:09 am

Hi,

try "Bleachbit" for clearing APT.

sudo apt-get install bleachbit

If you are having problems with update, run "dpkg" from the recovery menu, making sure you have actived "Network" from the same menu first!!.

See 3rd option in the "Broken FIles" section:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

jcarmona

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:40:36 am

Is there a fix for this? It is not a show stopper but annoying.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:06:29 am

Hi,

I only have one other suggestion and that is to change the download location of your software sources:

Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Download from > Other > Mark a new download link > Choose Server > Select best server and change the location, after that, reload > mark all updates > apply.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:51:46 pm

@bkotter,

Synaptic has worked fine in Zorin for me since day 1, if there is a problem he should certainly try and re-install it if at all possible.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

gingerman431

Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:19:36 am

Wolfman wrote:@bkotter,

Synaptic has worked fine in Zorin for me since day 1, if there is a problem he should certainly try and re-install it if at all possible.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

You are replying to bkotter, but where are his posts, Wolfman?
He appered to be asking some controversial questions. Would we be deleted, if we ask that kind of questions? :(