This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Mouse issues Zorin 6 core

efbe

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:27:30 am

Ive installed Zorin 6 core on my desktop pc, but every time i click on the middle mouse (roll ) button, the mouse pointer disappears from the screen and the whole system jams and im left to pull the plug. Same thing happened in Zorin5 and 5.2. Zorin 3 and 4 were the best with no problems what so ever... Unfortunately Zorin 4 is no longer supported, not sure how much longer Zorin 3 is supported for either.
Anyhow, I'm posting this from SolusOS which i have installed on a spare hard drive which looks and works nicely (no mouse problems there) and might be my preferred OS at this stage, but i would rather use Zorin if it didn't jam all the time.
Cheers from a disappointed Zorin fan.

madvinegar

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:45:49 am

Is everything else running smoothely graphics-wise?? It sounds like a graphics problem to me.
What is your GPU?

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02:20 am

Hi,

is your mouse PS2 or USB??, have you tried a different mouse or different port for the mouse. Sometimes simply changing the port helps!!.

If it is a PS2 mouse, try buying a USB adaptor for it, they aren't expensive!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

efbe

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:15:42 pm

Thanks guys..
I use a usb mouse (no problem with any other distro) and my graphic card is an onboard Intel Corporation 82915G Integrated Graphics controller.

Also jams using Compiz. Other than that it loads ok and can use the menu and a few pro-grammes that i tried.

P.C specs are.....
H.P. 2 x Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz and 2 gig ram.
Hope that makes sense? :D
Cheers.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:44:18 pm

Hi efbe,

have you fully updated your system and did you move the mouse to another USB port??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

efbe

Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15:28 pm

No i haven't updated the system, i didn't think it was worth it considering it was jamming up...but il give it another go and change the mouse to another usb port. Il report back later if it has or hasn't resolved the issue.. :D
Cheers Wolfman.

efbe

Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:10:42 am

Well that worked Wolfman, after installing all the updates everything is working fine now so i'm happy. :D

Just one more little question...Startupmanager is no longer available and i was wondering how i can change the wait time from 8 sec to 0 when i boot up my pc...its not that important though.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:11:44 am

Open terminal and write:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

In the file that will open find and carefully change the following two lines:

Remove the "#" from the below line:
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"
so it becomes
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT="0"

Change below line as follows:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
so it becomes
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Save and exit.

Then, to make the changes effective, open terminal again and write:
Code:
sudo update-grub

Important Note:
When you reboot you will not see any grub menu and your PC will boot directly to your desktop. This does not mean that you have deleted your grub menu. Your grub menu is still there but you have hidden it. If, for any reason, you want to see it again, next time you boot you must press and keep pressed your "shift" key, and your grub menu will appear!

efbe

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:18:34 pm

Thank you...that worked. :)
Problem solved.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:24:34 pm

Great! Glad we helped. I will mark this topic as solved!