This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

software center/shutdown problems

g2k

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:44:04 am

Hi, I'm new to the boards here and love zorin os 5 core. I've been having a problem and hoping you good folks could shed some light on it/them.

problem 1) ubuntu software center used to work then one day it would open and just keeps "loading software list"

I marked it for re-installation in synaptic, now it wont even load. It just opens a window that says ubuntu software center

Problem 2) I can shutdown zorin: START>POWER ICON> SHUTDOWN. It does this no problem, but if i: START>POWER ICON> RESTART, I get the blue zorin screen with the spinning circle and the HDD light goes off but that blue zorin screen with spinning circle is just there. I have left it alone for over 20 minutes and it WILL NOT restart.

My system specs: IBM intellistation m pro, 6225-22u. 3.6GHz p4 processor, 3Gb RAM, nvidia quadro fx 1300 graphics card.

This is a triple boot machine: Windows 7 hp, Ubuntu 10.04 (with all updates), Zorin os5 core (with all updates). software center and shutdown both work fine on ubuntu 10.04

Any help with these two issues would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

madvinegar

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:59:49 am

You could try the following:

- Plug an ethernet cable on your laptop/pc to get internet (not through wifi).
- Restart.
- In the grub menu of Zorin choose the recovery mode (usually 2nd option).
- From the new menu choose and run "dpkg". This will update your system and repair broken packages (if any).

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05:30 am

Hi,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

I have read reports about a bug in Software Center so try using either Synaptic or the terminal for updates!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

g2k

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11:52 pm

I got the problem fixed with software center per a post you made. updating with terminal so now I just need to figure out why it wont restart. everything else works beautifully and unlike Windows 7, I get Zorins' "aero effects" with my current graphics card (bad microsoft, bad bad microsoft).

Wolfman

Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:46:58 pm

Hi,

glad to hear you are making progress, have you tried re-installing the Software Center??.

g2k

Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:49:24 am

ok, so I couldnt use my web cam or aero effects under windows 7 because my graphics card scored a 1.0 on the windows experience rating. I bought a Galaxy gt640 (Nvidia based) graphics card and went from 1.0-4.0 (yay 4me).

I then wiped my linux partitions and wanted to do a fresh install of Zorin os 5, to no avail, it wont install AT ALL!

I figured no problem, I'll upgrade to zos 6. It installed but had problems with the screens (dual monitors) flashing as if they were "blinking their eyes".

I did a quick "additional drivers" search and none were available, I also had no desktop effects.

Searched and found "the answer"...sudo apt-get install nvidia-current (brought me upto v2.95?) rebooted and used the nvidia control panel to get everything set up "properly".

Rebooted and had proper resolution, desktop effects, etc. Then compiz crashed (did this process 6 times).

Now I don't know what to do. I like the look and feel of os5 (very win7 ish), but I like the advancements on os6 too. As it stands right now, it really does'nt matter as neither one works (AT ALL).

Any suggestions/thoughts/or words of wisdom would be very welcome at this point.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:07:28 am

Could you please give some more details as to why zorin5 could not be installed at all? Can you boot to the desktop via live CD/USB? If yes, is everything working properly?

As regards the problems you are having with your GPU in zorin6, I have found a very usefull link that may assist. You need to add two lines to your repositories.
http://my-linux-installation-files.blog ... river.html

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:18:20 am

Hi g2k,

you can use this 3rd party PPA for Nvidia drivers: (Use at your own risk)

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

There has been a bug report filed about Nvidia with the devs so it may be a while until a full fix is available, you can also try re-installing Compiz!!!!.

Alos, did you check out this post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

g2k

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:07:23 am

madvinegar wrote:Could you please give some more details as to why zorin5 could not be installed at all? Can you boot to the desktop via live CD/USB? If yes, is everything working properly?

As regards the problems you are having with your GPU in zorin6, I have found a very usefull link that may assist. You need to add two lines to your repositories.
http://my-linux-installation-files.blog ... river.html

No matter what method i choose to install with it eventually turns to a bunch of code. In reading that code I can see it finding my keyboard, then mouse then it invariably gets stuck on some multi-channel usb device.

There it hangs forever. I believe that device is my nvidia gt620 graphics card, as the packaging talks about it having multi-channel graphics.

Os 6 will install but once i update to the latest Linux drivers from the nvidia site compiz crashes and everything goes to hell .

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:13:01 am

Hi g2k,

how does Compiz run without the Nvidia drivers installed??.

g2k

Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:06:13 am

It seemed to run ok, I got wobbly windows but the wrong resolution and no way of adjusting to the correct resolution. Once the current nvidia drivers are installed compiz will crash upon first reboot.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:53:54 am

g2k wrote:It seemed to run ok, I got wobbly windows but the wrong resolution and no way of adjusting to the correct resolution. Once the current nvidia drivers are installed compiz will crash upon first reboot.

Hi g2k,

you can try this link, I must admit I had a go but something is still wrong because the "close-minimise-maximise" buttons move to the left in Gnome 2 mode at least and resetting that problem with Ubuntu Tweak only lasts a few seconds, as soon as their are more than one window open, it goes wrong again!!!!!!!:

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/nvidia- ... n-for.html

Please bear in mind that you install either the 32 or 64 bit files and...... you use these files at your own risk!!!!.

g2k

Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:52:06 am

I may try that with os 6, and see how it goes. I did load 10.04 and tried your soulution with x-swat ppa for 10.04. It installed driver 195.something, but still froze everything up and crashed compiz, again, under 10.04 not os 6. I'll most likely be trying that tonight...you seem to stay up late like me...lol