This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to change to open source drivers?

barkhat

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:41:30 pm

:?

I saw the sticky about nvidia bug report and this note:

--------------------------
as the title states, there is a problem with Nvidia drivers/cards at the moment, I have filed a bug report with the devs and hopefully there will be a fix soon!!.

If you are having problems like blank white screens, remove the Nvidia drivers and use the open source dirvers for now!!. (the open source drivers will kick in automatically and do not need to be installed!!)

Sorry if it is causing any problems for Nvidia card owners :( (I have one too!!)

Regards Wolfman :D

--------------------------

Can you please tell me how to do this? I'm a novice still and don't know how to use the open source drivers, that is, where are they and how do I put them in? I don't have a lot of knowledge about things like this. Also, there are other distros on this computer. Will changing these to open source effect those distros?

Thank you, in advance for help.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45:24 pm

Open source drivers are loaded by default. Therefore you should go to "additional-drivers" and make sure that no recomended additional driver is enabled regarding your GPU.

barkhat

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:16:57 pm

madvinegar wrote:Open source drivers are loaded by default. Therefore you should go to "additional-drivers" and make sure that no recomended additional driver is enabled regarding your GPU.

Thank you, madvinegar. How do I get to "additional-drivers"?

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26:56 pm

If I remember well it is in start>system tools>administration>additional drivers.

Or you can just open terminal and write
Code:
jockey-gtk

and hit <enter>

barkhat

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:43:50 pm

madvinegar wrote:If I remember well it is in start>system tools>administration>additional drivers.

Or you can just open terminal and write
Code:
jockey-gtk

and hit <enter>

Thank you, again, for your quick reply. I'll give it a whirl!

:)

Ed.: I found it and changed it! So far, so good! Thank you.

madvinegar

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:48:52 pm

Glad I helped my friend.

VanR

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:01:30 pm

So is the problem with a specific Nvidia driver or all of them and Zorin OS 6?

Wolfman

Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34:52 pm

Hi,

I think that the problem is more Zorin specific as I don't have a problem with other Ubuntu based systems including Ubuntu itself!!.

Stick with the open source drivers for now and hopefully when Zorin 6.1 Core comes out, it should be sorted!. Or.....the devs make a patch to fix it!!.

I have an Nvidia card myself!!.

Regards Wolfman :D