This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

External Mic not working

gary.zw

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:35:49 pm

I can not seem to get my external mic to work. My sound card is Audigy 2

The only way I could get audio working was to set the hardware to Digital Stereo IEC895 output. I have the input set to Analog Stereo input. I do not have an Digital SP/PDIF cable connected just the the analog for the speakers why it works on that setting I do not know but I have tried everything and my external mic will not work. The mic worked with my previous installation of Ubuntu 12.04 using the MATE 1.2 desktop but it would not work while in the Unity desktop.

I have Zorin OS 6 Ultimate and really like it compared to the other Linux distributions

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:46:34 pm

Try the link about sound and it is important that you use PAMAN in conjunction with the normal sound manager!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

gary.zw

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:50:15 pm

I installed the following

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsox-fmt-all paman

How do I start PAMAN?

Wolfman wrote:Try the link about sound and it is important that you use PAMAN in conjunction with the normal sound manager!!.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:59:45 pm

Please oh please read the link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

gary.zw

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:10:22 pm

I did read the link it says "You will find the Pulse Audio Manager once it is installed; under Sound and Video in the main apps menu."

When look under Sound and Video I see "PulseAudio Volume Control" but no " Pulse Audio Manager"

Wolfman wrote:Please oh please read the link:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

madvinegar

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21:58 pm

Could you please advise what is the model of your laptop?

gary.zw

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26:40 pm

I have a Gateway FX 400 Desktop. I got PAMAN working but I had to start it in Terminal by typing "paman" what do I do in paman?

Wolfman

Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17:17 am

gary.zw wrote:I have a Gateway FX 400 Desktop. I got PAMAN working but I had to start it in Terminal by typing "paman" what do I do in paman?

Hi Gary,

open Paman and go to "Input devices", there you will see a slider for the microphone, in my case I have 2 sliders because I use my webcam mic!, make sure you select the dropdown menu for your mic, where it states "Port", in my case it say "Microphone" and "Front Microphone", click on the little arrow on the right and see if you have any options, on my "Built in Audio Analog Stereo" window; I have 3 options, play around with it!!.

Volume Control_003.png
Volume Control_003.png (62.16 KiB)