This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Skype taskbar menu issues

donphinney

Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31:04 pm

I have tried both version 4 and version 2 of skype with zorin.
In both versions when I try to access the program functions from the task tray (menubar where clock, network,mail,etc are located) it pops up for less than on second (is like a blink you can barely catch it) and then disappears. this is not the case with any of the other menus from the same try (volume, network, battery, etc). Is this a well known bug with a work around? I have been able to look at screen shots of what the skype menu looks like on other sites and then navigate by clicking on the icon and pressing the up and down arrow keys blindly the correct amount of times to get a choice to activate, but this is a real bother as you can not see what you are selecting until you hit enter and your choice comes up. Any Ideas?

madvinegar

Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58:29 pm

Would you like to try to go to synaptics package manager, find skype, uninstall it and then re-install it?

donphinney

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:20:36 am

did that before I posted :-(

Wolfman

Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:05:32 am

Hi,

as odd as it sounds, you must start Skype twice, the first opening will start the app hidden, the second time it will appear on the desktop where you can minimise it.

It does not show up in the panel/taskbar in Gnome 2 mode at least!!. Only once you have started it for the second time; do you get a glimpse of the app!!.

I have the same problem but that is my work-around :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17:07 am

I am not experiencing such a problem in zorin6 ultimate. I am using the already installed skype edition 4.0.0.7. is this some kind of a bug?

Wolfman

Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20:07 am

Hi MV,

I think it is simply a quirk with G3, it is most likely down to that auto-hide thingy in Unity (I think) and it is auto hiding, in G2 mode, I cannot figure out how to stop it doing that!!.

Another one for the Gnome devs!!.

hack13

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:54:21 pm

I have been experiencing this same issue. However I found that if you just keep trying, the popup menu will stay. It is just kinda glitchy.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07:52 am

madvinegar wrote:I am not experiencing such a problem in zorin6 ultimate. I am using the already installed skype edition 4.0.0.7. is this some kind of a bug?

Hi MV,

what "Look" are you using??.

madvinegar

Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25:45 am

The all Swarf favorite "unity look". :D

Wolfman

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59:28 pm

On my ATI rig, it appears in the top panel (Gnome 2 mode) no problem!!.

It might be an Nvidia related problem???????????????.

wlsnoops

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:58:29 pm

Wolfman wrote:On my ATI rig, it appears in the top panel (Gnome 2 mode) no problem!!.

It might be an Nvidia related problem???????????????.

FWIW, doesn't seem to be just an Nvidia issue, as my Acer Aspire 5920 laptop uses Intel graphics. Maybe an AWN issue? Have the problem in Win 7 look, but not in Gnome 2.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:13:56 am

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to stop this "Autohide" command in G3, so far (touch wood) it is only happening with Skype and no other app!!.

wlsnoops

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:01:16 pm

Okay, here's what works for me:
I am using version 4.0.0.7

Click the icon down in the lower left hand corner of the Skype box and "Quit" from there. The icon in the panel then goes away. Works for me anyways.