This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Shortcut desktop icons?

shokk1967

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:47:31 pm

When I r/click on a icon in the menu and add it to desktop, why do I then have to go into properties and set permissions for the shortcut to work, or am I doing it wrong?

madvinegar

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:56:09 pm

I think this is how its done.

shokk1967

Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:01:41 pm

Cheers for that, but this is the type of thing most people get confused with, on mint 13 mate the r/click add to desktop just works, no permissions etc.
Why cant zorin do that?
I`m running zorin and mint 13 ,I love zorin ,but mint 13 seems to me to be easier to use, funny but I still like zorin ,I just wish it was easier to use.
For example in mint 13 I can add applets and remove with a r/click, in zorin I can add ,but still cant figure out how to remove..
I`m totally new to linux,I can see how zorin wants to be for users new to linux, but it`s far from that, in my humble opinion mint is far easier to use.
I spent over an hour sorting out how to install the packages for playing a dvd, in mint the dvd just works.
I`m not bitching, its just my experience as a new linux user.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02:10 am

Hi shokk,

the icon permissions thing is not just a problem with Zorin, there are a few versions of linux which have to follow this method to get desktop icons working!!.

For media playback you need to make sure that the Medibuntu repo is active and install the "non-free-codecs" package:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852

Again, this is not just Zorin but several versions of Linux have no DVD codecs included with the base install of the system including Ubuntu itself, this is largely due to media rights in various countries, some OS devs include the codecs by default, some don't. Windows doesn't have DVD codecs installed by default either!!.

have you checked out the post install guide??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02:41 am

shokk1967 wrote:For example in mint 13 I can add applets and remove with a r/click, in zorin I can add ,but still cant figure out how to remove..

If you are talking about removing applets from the panel bar do the following:

Keep pressed superkey(windows key)+alt and then place your mouse pointer on the bar, right click on it and a list will open. In this list you will have an option to remove the applet.