This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Fine Tuning Graphics and other Newbie Questions

Javelin Dan

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:47:35 pm

Currently running Zorin 6 “Lite” on a Dell Inspiron 8000 (Laptop), Pentium III (Coppermine) processor, 20 GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM.

Hello all. I’m actually quite elated to be on this forum because until my recent upgrade from the original 128 MB of Ram ( to 512 MB) on this machine, the only OS’s that it would boot were Antix and a couple of flavors of Puppy. I’ve been longing for some lighter version of Ubuntu that would boot, but everything I tried (including Lubuntu) would boot up with a graphics problem – 3 layers of desktops layered over each other from left to right (with a default resolution of 1024 x768 and no graphical option to go up). That actually happened with my first attempt with Zorin-Lite, but rebooting in “Safe Graphics Mode” did the trick.

However, the fonts are a little small for my not-so-young eyes. I went into “monitor settings” and found the resolution set at 1280 x 1024. I saw an option to reset it at 1280 x 800 and did so, but that action scrambled the brains of this old box so that all I had were a bunch of diagonal lines instead of a usable desktop. Is there a way to do this from the terminal? Or should I just put on my reading glasses and count my blessings that this thing even runs?

I prefer Firefox as my browser and was disappointed to find it missing in the repository. If I upgrade to “Pangolin 12.04” will I find it there as I have in Lubuntu on my other boxes? What are the advantages/disadvantages of upgrading to 12.04 vs. waiting for the next version of Zorin? Grateful for any help.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:43:10 am

Hi,

you can download firefox direct from their website if it isn't in the repo, for font adjustment install Ubuntu Tweak, for Precise Pangolin, you can try downloading the latest Zorin 6 Core which is based on it and try it on your PC.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Make sure you get the correct version of UT.

Regards Wolfman :D

Javelin Dan

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13:17 pm

Thanks - I'll look into all of that.