This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Closed not SOLVED) D-Link wiresless WUA-2340 not installing

hankypanky

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03:09 am

I am trying to install D-link and it keeps freezing up and I have to turn the computer off everytime I don't have internet yet in Zorin because of this and so I have to do the live boot. Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this thing so I can get internet on my Zorin os

madvinegar

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:33:14 am

Hi!
Try this.

First follow my guide here to install the latest ndiswrapper.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2274

Then, insert your windows CD with the drivers of the d-link wua-2340.
Open it and by using "wine" install the .exe file (like you would do in windows). Plug the USB when necessary.

After the installation is complete, close wine and navigate to: /home/yourusername/.wine/c_drive/windows/inf
(".wine" is a hidden file so you have to press ctrl+H to be able to view it).

Iside the "inf" file you will find a file with a name something like "WUA-2340". Inside that file there will be other system files, one of which will be named something like wua2340.inf. Note that we need the file ending in "inf".

Now open ndiswrapper, click on add driver, and then browse to the .inf file above. Install it and hopefully your USB will start working.

If not, open terminal and do
Code:
sudo modeprobe ndiswrapper

hankypanky

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:40:22 pm

okay so I found out that all I need to do is install ndiswrapper but I am not able to do so for some reason maybe because I am a newbie at linux but if someone can direct me to something that will walk me step by step on how to install ndiswrapper that would be great :D oh and I installed the ndiswrapper on my desktop

madvinegar

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:09:13 pm

My guide is not simple enough? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2274

hankypanky

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:16:23 pm

the only problem with it, is that it keeps saying this is a directory and doesnt do anything or it says file or directory not found and I have tried so many combos that it is making kind of confused

madvinegar

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:12:06 pm

You download the tar file.
You extract it.
You navigate through terminal to the extracted file. Try this

Code:
cd /home/yourusername/Downloads/ndiswrapper-1.57
sudo make
sudo make install

Ofcourse, replace "yourusername" with... your username! :mrgreen:
This time it will work! :D

Then follow the rest steps of my post above. :mrgreen:

hankypanky

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:51:22 am

okay so now that I have everything updated and installed, when I pull up windows wireless drivers and click install, it says this
Module could not be loaded. Error was:

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

Is the ndiswrapper module installed?
Well, I thought that it was, but I did everything in the terminal and it installed so I just used that and also tryed to install it the wine way but I don't understand when you say
'Now open ndiswrapper, click on add driver, and then browse to the .inf file above. Install it and hopefully your USB will start working.' Does that mean the windows wireless drivers? if so, that is the error message I get every time. please post back asap im not giving up on this! lol :D

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:52:00 am

Hi,

the "inf" file is from the Windows drivers folder which you should have copied somewhere on your Linux install, you need to add that file when asked to add your driver "inf" file.

You need your driver disk for your Windows system, look in that folder for "Drivers " > Wlan (WIFI) and copy that file to disk, then point the ndiswrapper prog to the "inf" file in it.

Please see the link below for a full tutorial on Ndiswrapper:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/ans ... ef7e93bfc3

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:30:52 am

So have you succeeded in installing the latest version of ndiswrapper?
After you install the windows drivers using the windows CD and wine, navigate to /home/yourusername/.wine/c_drive/windows/inf.
In there you will find the folder which contains the necessary .inf file!

hankypanky

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:37:48 am

Okay that is what I have been doing directing it to the correct drivers and that same error message comes up, but then it does show the driver, but the wifi still doesnt work

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:46:18 am

Hi,

a silly question maybe but is your Wifi switched on??, some PC's have a last state system and it remembers what the wifi was doing last time, if it was switched off, it will remember that, check in BIOS!!.

madvinegar

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:47:32 am

So, No1 you have indeed installed the latest version of ndiswrapper, correct? (this is very important).

No2. If No1 is correct, it means that you may be using the wrong .inf file. In the directory /home/yourusername/.wine/c_drive/windows/inf/ and inside the D-link folder, there may be more than one .inf file. Have you tried all of them?

Also try this driver. Download from here: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/wua2340/Dr ... er_140.zip
Extract it, and then locate the driver inside /Drivers/WinXP_2K

Note: WM he is using a USB wireless stick. I think that there is no need for the wireless to be switched on (if he has any internal wireless card).

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:50:50 am

@MV,

if he is booting with a stick, is he booting with the stick inserted, or is he putting the stick in after full boot?????.

madvinegar

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:53:33 am

@WM
I don't know but it is usually better to plug the USB stick after full boot.

hankypanky

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:24:46 pm

So from what I've read 1.57 is the latest stable version that's what I have they do have one that they are testing which is ndiswrapper-1.58rc1 but not sure if that means I should get it

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:14:49 am

I know this may be a stupid question, but again this is my first time ever installing inux and I have learned a lot it's not really that hard, but how do you check to see if the wireless is turned off in the BIOS? The wires adapter I have the D-link and it is a usb device it says that the device is present but nothing is happening

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:44:28 am

This is also a long shot but, can you tell me how to install ndisinstaller ive tried so many different ways and the instructions say to run the "ndisinstaller"-file as root or run the "ndisinstaller-launcher"-file as normal user. I don't know how to install it, but I think maybe it might help me a lot in trying to figure this out so please if you could help that would be so awesome!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:57:11 am

Hi HP,

use the files that are in the repo only, don't download a file from somewhere else.

Look at the pic below which is what you should have installed and also include "ndiswrapper-dkms".

did you look at the link I posted earlier??:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/ans ... ef7e93bfc3

Synaptic Package Manager _007.png
Synaptic Package Manager _007.png (162.74 KiB)

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58:57 am

Hi wolf man,

Yes I did and I've tried it all I've even done what your screen says and nothing worked I am trying to install a .deb package but it doesn't work any advice on how to install it? I've been tring the sudo install -I package.deb but it doesn't work then I try cd /home/user/downloads/package.deb. and then sudo install -I package.deb after but says it can't find the package what am I doing wrong ?

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:35:21 pm

Hi,

do this in a terminal first:

sudo apt-get install gdebi

then, right click the package you want to install and "Open With" and choose "Gdebi". (You can set this to default program in properties!)

Use Gdebi to install single packages, it is far better than other commands etc.

See this guide about updating and software sources too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:22:18 pm

okay thank you! that seemed to work better than what others were saying, but the thing is, is that I am not connected to the internet but I do have the Gdebi.deb package in my downloads so is it the same command with different wording? Oh btw I deleted my Zorin and install the latest Ubuntu I like it better :-D

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26:27 pm

Hi,

the Gdebi package is the "Installer", it is an installation tool for single packages!!!!.

Check here for info about updating:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54:32 pm

again the only problem with the update is that you need internet connection im talking to you on my mac, and the ubuntu on my desktop no internet I know what Gdebi is, I have downloaded the gdebi_0.7.0_all.deb into my downloads my question is how to install it from there onto the computer because it is not installed yet

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:36:31 pm

okay wolf man, this is what I had to do:
in terminal I had to change the directory to downloads which is
cd /home/username/downloads
and then pressed enter you can find this directory by finding your download package and draging and dropping it in terminal and copy and past into text editor or whatever program just delete the .deb file name leave the rest of the directory.
then after changing the directory it should look like this:
username@computername:~$ cd /downloads

you can't just type in cd /downloads it wont work you need to do the diretory first, then I typed in:
sudo dpkg -i file_name.deb

then pressed enter; SHAZAM! it worked! No one seems to understand that a lot of people have no idea what they are doing so this should help hopefully others that are struggling like me :D

hankypanky

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:04:12 pm

Okay so I have installed the ndiswrapper the three components common , utils, ndisgtk installed then found the driver on the cd that came with dlink which is .inf I've installed all the driver it would let me it says they are installed and the hardware is present. I've unPlugged the USB and let the system fully boot then plugged it back in I know that I've done everything correctly it still doesn't work maybe I'm not configuring the net work correctly I'm confused what the clone Mac address is and also confused about the bssid I don't know what they are and I've tried plugging in every number and it still doesn't work

Wolfman

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21:58 am

Hi,

you don't need to worry about the clone MAC address, it can be left blank, you only need to know what your "SSID" is, equally don't worry about "BSSID", your SSID is the name your router is using so you can identify it on the PC, mine for example say "Wlan-Alice60", this name is written somewhere on your router along with its password.

To access the network settings, left click on the network icon in the panel and then on "Edit Connections".

Look at the pic below (this is for a wired connection but the principal is the same) and you will see that it should be set to connect automatically and for all users!!.

Take a look here, this may hold some more info for you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Editing Wired connection 1_008.png
Editing Wired connection 1_008.png (43.49 KiB)

hankypanky

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:33:49 pm

hi swarfendor437,
I did try it that way, I intalled the drivers with wine, then I unhide the files and find the windows 32 drivers and also the drivers and what I did not try to find the latest windows driver for it but I uninstalled the zorin os because this was all confusing, and installed ubuntu which I think is much better.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:28:32 am

hankypanky wrote:hi swarfendor437,
I did try it that way, I intalled the drivers with wine, then I unhide the files and find the windows 32 drivers and also the drivers and what I did not try to find the latest windows driver for it but I uninstalled the zorin os because this was all confusing, and installed ubuntu which I think is much better.

Hi HP,

did it solve your problem when you changed to Ubuntu??.

hankypanky

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18:26 am

um no, it didn't sadly and now I am not at that computer anymore, it's at my moms house.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:43:46 am

Hi HP,

if you are not going to use the Wifi on this Pc assuming you are using a network cable at your mum's house, can we close this thread?.

hankypanky

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36:48 am

Um yes we can but just to make clear I couldn't use the network cable because the router was too far away and no cable long enough :-(

madvinegar

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:50:18 am

Wolfman

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:40:48 am

@MV,

50 metres, well I suppose he can use it the neighbours house next door!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Will marked as ""Thread Closed" if you have no further questions.