This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Os 6 No TaskBar

xxfreegamesxx

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:56:32 am

Hi,

I'm having some trouble when Zorin starts because i can't see a taskbar I have to click alt+f2 and put in gnome-terminal and in the terminal gnome-pan --replace now i changed the look from look changer to gnome 2 but why can't i see taskbar when i put it on windows 7 or windows xp :?: :? thx

madvinegar

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:56:22 am

Try this.
Go to system>startup applications and click on "add".
Then write:
name: Panel Bar
command: gnome-panel

save, exit, reboot and see if that worked.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:52:03 am

Hi,

see this thread too:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Regards Wolfman :D

xxfreegamesxx

Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:45:29 pm

madvinegar wrote:Try this.
Go to system>startup applications and click on "add".
Then write:
name: Panel Bar
command: gnome-panel

save, exit, reboot and see if that worked.

Thank you for the info it did bring the taskbar back but now i see a black screen with only a taskbar. o and i keep getting an internal error error

edit: it now gets the win 7 taskbar lookalike and then it disappears and the gnome 2 comes up and disappears so what i did was alt+f2 gnome-terminal and put gnome-panel i get these errors:

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:994:22: Not a valid image

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gnome-panel:2955): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name
Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

xxfreegamesxx

Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:06:09 pm

wolfman i had seen a previous post about the same problem and you were the most helpful to me in that post when i read it your the reason I knew the above command so I'm expecting you to help me fix this evrything else works fine except this and I want to inform you that when I open system files I see 2 folders with a red circled X the files are root and lost+found THX both wolfman and madvinegar

Wolfman

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:35:45 pm

Hi,

press Alt + F2 and paste this command:

dconf reset -f /org/gnome/gnome-panel/

press Alt + F2 again and paste this command:

killall gnome-panel

If that doesn't work try:

Open a terminal and paste:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/panel

and

killall gnome-panel

Or you can manually delete the folder ~/.gconf/apps/panel/

mkdir ~/gnomepanelbackup ; mv ~/.gconf/apps/panel ~/gnomepanelbackup

this will create backup of current settings in home directory. then,

killall gnome-panel

xxfreegamesxx

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25:07 pm

Wolfman nothing happens at all.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:52:21 pm

Hi,

one of those commands should fix the problem, all I can suggest is you start the PC in recovery mode and run "dpkg", this might fix the problem for you, other than that; I can only suggest a complete new install.

Maybe another foum member has a better idea; sorry!!.

See also this thread about updating and repair:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman

Gonz

Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:34:35 pm

xxfreegamesxx wrote:why can't i see taskbar when i put it on windows 7 or windows xp

been my only gripe with zorin. With gnome look, u get a taskbar (not with windows 7/xp look). A functional taskbar is a needed thing. Hope this issue can be resolved @ some time in the near future.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:07:10 am

xxfreegamesxx wrote:Hi,

I'm having some trouble when Zorin starts because i can't see a taskbar I have to click alt+f2 and put in gnome-terminal and in the terminal gnome-pan --replace now i changed the look from look changer to gnome 2 but why can't i see taskbar when i put it on windows 7 or windows xp :?: :? thx

Hi,

back to your original post, do you have an Nvidia card, if so, please also see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

If you have the Nvidia drivers installed, try removing them first and see if the panel is there!!.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:14:09 am

Another thought, have you fully updated your system??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Gonz

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50:41 pm

anyone having issues with missing taskbar: This corrected the problem for me ...
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2467