This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) GnoMenu Problem

BrickTop

Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:09:26 pm

Hi,
When I click on System Tools ==> Administration in GnoMenu the menu is blank, nothing is listed. This only happens when in the Windows 7 theme. When I use any other theme all items are listed correctly. All other sub menus work correctly.

I have tried sudo dpkg --configure -a but that makes no difference even after a reboot.

Wolfman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:09:45 am

Hi,

have you fully updated the system and installed graphic card drivers??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

System settings> Hardware > Additional Drivers (ATI & Nvidia only)

Regards Wolfman :D

BrickTop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:36:58 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Have you run

Code:
sudo apt-get update

and

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

before running the dpkg command?

Also have you followed Wolfman's Post installation guide?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054#p8048

Yes

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

have you fully updated the system and installed graphic card drivers??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

System settings> Hardware > Additional Drivers (ATI & Nvidia only)

Yes and I've also added the 3rd party PPA for nvidia drivers and still the same problem.

Further to me saying this happens under Windows 7 theme, in the Windows XP theme it only lists the first five items in that menu. Everything is listed fine under all other themes.

I am running the 64bit Ultimate Edition on an HP PC with Intel i3 processor, Nviidia GTX 460 and 11GB Ram

BrickTop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:58:26 pm

OK, I have been trying to solve this. It appears when I have cascading menus things work almost normally. In Windows 7 when I have changed the menu to one with cascading menus I can get the first five items in the list on the Administration menu.

This definitely worked on my initial install but got fubared after going through all the updates. In fact a few things seemed to get fubared but I have now sorted all other problems out and this is the only outstanding one.
I have no idea now where to look. Could it be some file somewhere has been corrupted/replaced/deleted?

Any help or pointers appreciated. I am more than happy to dig into the system and edit files and/or use the command line.

BrickTop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:16:25 pm

I had this problem before enabling the ppa. I just added it to try something else.

The response I get to your command is

Code:
E: Unable to locate package nvidia

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:21:26 am

Hi,

did you look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2299

BrickTop

Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:34:38 pm

I already have 302.17 installed according to Nvidia X Server Settings

BrickTop

Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18:52 pm

Ok, got it.
As I said before
Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia

didn't work.

Code:
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
did.

Once the drivers were uninstalled I got all the icons back.

I then used the Additional Drivers option in system settings to install the recommended drivers. Big fail, lost icons.

Next I tried post-release updates version. Thumbs up icons back.

Driver version is 295.49 according to X-Server Settings.

I then went through the process in Wolfmans link to install 302.17

Everything installed fine, still have icons as well. X-Server settings still shows as having 295.49. Synaptic Package Manager shows 302.17 as being installed. I don't know why.

So thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Now to start another post about something else I can't seem to get working. :o