This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bluetooth connection "off" and cannot be changed

BreeHam

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:38:33 pm

Hi!

I'm so hoping someone can help me with my Bluetooth problem; if I cannot resolve it, then I will have to try another distro, which saddens me greatly.

Here is my problem: I have a Canon MP600 multifunction printer. It is recognized and works well on a wired connection, However, I am unable to print to it via Bluetooth in either Zorin OS6 Core 32- or 64-bit versions. It does not seem to be a driver problem, as the printer is recognized in wired and wireless modes.

The printer is quickly recognized in Zorin's Bluetooth module, and it shows as "on".
The Bluetooth version of the printer is quickly recognized when I add it as a printer and shows as "on".

The problem is when I go to the Bluetooth portion of the System Settings and click on Bluetooth. Bluetooth shows as "on. Visibility of "live-0" shows as "on". However, when I click on the listed printer, the switch for Connection is grayed-out and shows "Off". I think this is why I can't print.

I've restarted the machine, tried every setting I can think of, and still the Connection switch remains grayed-out and Off, and I cannot print wirelessly. Everything else appears fine.

Please, can someone help me? Yes, I can print via a wired connection, but my use requires the laptop be able to print wirelessly.

Many thanks in advance,

Bree.

BreeHam

Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:24:26 pm

Thanks so much for the suggestion, swarfendor437. I gave it a try, adding the repository and then the drivers, followed by a restart.

Sadly, the result is still the same -- the Bluetooth "Connection" slider for the Canon MP600 remains grayed-out and "Off". The printer is recognized when wired and wireless, but it seems as if this connection switch is the point at which it hangs.

I surely appreciate and thank you for your efforts. Still looking for a solution!

Bree.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28:50 am

Hi,

you can also try installing the packages "bluetooth" (bluetooth support) and " blueman" (bluetooth GUI).

I cannot say whether or not this will help you!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

BreeHam

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:15:54 am

Thanks, Wolfman, for your kind reply and let me offer my apologies for a delay in responding.

I have installed the Bluetooth support and Blueman packages you referenced, all without any change in my problem.

My scenario is this: I have laptops that are wheeled on carts in a clinical-care environment. Because they are mobile, they need to print wirelessly to one or more Bluetooth printers. I am currently doing this with Windows XP Pro, Vista, and 7 with no problem. I would, however, like to do this with Zorin -- but can't, apparently because the Bluetooth connection switch remains "grayed-out" in the Off position in the Bluetooth section of the system settings. The printer (Canon MP600) installed correctly and works fine via USB. The Bluetooth version is shown as "paired" successfully, and is set as the default. The trouble comes when I choose to "Print" and...nothing happens. Again, apparently because the printer is not "connected" in the Bluetooth panel (swich remains grayed-out in the Off position).

I had so hoped to deploy Zorin on more than a dozen of my machines, but alas...if the Bluetooth printing won't work...I can't.

Please, can someone help make Zorin work for me?

Thanks so much for all assistance provided so far, and for any to follow in future.

Best,

Bree.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:31:34 am

Could you please open terminal and post the result of:

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35:31 am

Hi Bree,

I found this, so lets start there, you will need to install a 3rd party PPA if you are okay with that!!:

http://ubuntuportal.com/2011/12/how-to- ... buntu.html

Read the section relevant to your printer and add the main PPA first!!.

Once the drivers are installed, try it out again and see if it helps!!.

Here it is in short version

Open a terminal and install the PPA using the following command:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:michael-gruz/canon
sudo apt-get update

Disconnect your Canon printer from your computer or turn it off. Then, install the canon printer driver with the following command.

in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install cnijfilter-mp600series

Then try it out again!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:46:39 am