This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Task Manager Issue

Gonz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:31:41 pm

any way of adding a task manager not related to awn ?

i have been getting messages of failure to load because of 'no task manager' from HPLIP (printer support)

printer is working tho but i like the control features i get with HPLIP.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38:52 pm

Hi Gonz,

do this in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

Then open HPLip Toolbox to set up your printer.

One of the reasons you might get messages about hplip is that you don't have the printer switched on, you can take it out of the "Startup Applications" list and it shouldn't bother you much again!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Gonz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:04:07 pm

that's how i originally installed it in the beginning ... had also removed from startup ... printer is always on.

but still get the 'no task manager' message when printing. It prints tho ...

Gonz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:30:45 pm

also getting - 'printing error connecting to device now' -

but it's printing fine :?:

do i need to manually start the toolbox then before printing since it's not in startup ?

in other distros it loads up in the taskmanager in the bottom right and it usually works without the messages.

Wolfman

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:37:09 pm

Hi Gonz,
yes; you should manually start the app!!.

You can put it in auto start if you want to!!.

Gonz

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51:07 pm

ok, will have to remember to start it up then manually before i print something ... when i had it in startup, the toolbox would pop up full view on the desktop and was getting annoying.

Thanks Wolfman :D

Gonz

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45:45 pm

? somebody added [solved] to my post when it's really not solved ... i was going to leave it [unsolved] in case someone can help...

I use libreoffice calc daily to print out invoices for my business ... i need the functionality of HPLIP ... even when starting HPLIP manually, it still gives me the error (and no, i don't have nvidia drivers)
HPLIP gives me the ability to control the output to draft ... this way i can save on ink. Without it, the installed driver still works but i get no ability to tweak the output page and it prints in 100% all color and black :(

Wolfman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51:31 pm

Hi Gonz,

sorry but that was me that marked it as solved!! :(

I am not on my HP PC at the mo and will look at my printer settings when I can!!.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11:51 pm

Hi Gonz,

you and i have different HP printers so I cannot emulate your problem, do you only want it to print in B & W or what??.

HP Device Manager - HP Deskjet f4500 Series_001.png
HP Device Manager - HP Deskjet f4500 Series_001.png (110.13 KiB)

Gonz

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29:51 pm

madvinegar wrote:do you only want it to print in B & W or what??

both ... 'hplip' menu allows for different settings for the printer.

been using 'hplip' with other distros for a long time. For some documents I will print draft; for others full 100% ... for others BW

Note: without 'hplip' it prints but cannot modify how it prints (need to save ink !!!)

when I first installed Zorin, I had hplip in startup but was still getting 'no system tray' error.

Then removed it from startup and start it manually ... but still get the same 'no system tray error'

I need a system tray :roll: please

Auldyin

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31:05 pm

Hi Gonz

Want a Systray :?: :?:

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (99.01 KiB)

Sorted :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01:17 am

Hi Gonz,

have you tried deleting the "hplip" folder in home and then re-installing it via Synaptic??.

Press Ctrl + h to show hidden files in home and then delete the hplip folder.

Gonz

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:57:36 am

edit: see below

Gonz

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39:39 pm

Now marked as [SOLVED :mrgreen: ]

as Auldyin suggested for the systray applet in awn and i did not have it ... installed the tray thru synaptic and 'voila'

Image now hplip is in the tray and no errors.

Thanks Auldyin :D

... and for all suggestions !

i wonder why it was not with the regular installed applets from the beginning :?:

need add to startup: HPLIP then command: /usr/bin/hp-systray ;)