This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Num Lock inoperative

blaineclrk

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:23:30 pm

Greetings all, Just trying out this Zorin 6, 32 on an e-Machine with a Dell keyboard. According to the indicator light I can turn the Num Lock off and on, but it never turns on. I opened gedit and made a few lines to check the direction controls as well as the number keys and nada. The Num Pad flat-out doesn't work. Any Ideas?

So far, through the weekend, I've played with Z for a day and a half. I like it. I had just moved from Ubuntu to Mint 13 Mate because I'm not liking Unity and it was time to upgrade. It's probably great on a touch screen, but it's just not my style for a regular desktop. About three weeks ago a friend's Toshiba laptop crashed and wouldn't get past the BIOS. She had never made any recovery or installation disks and of course it didn't come with one. Don't ya just love it when MS makes things so easy? She was told she'd have to buy a new installation disk. She kind'a new about Linux. I dumped MS years ago and I promote the Vinux build too (vinuxproject.org). That's Ubuntu that's been optimized for and by the blind. She had heard me talking it up so when I asked why buy that MeSS twice when you can run Linux and get things done, she actually payed attention. I went home and got the fresh Mint 13 disk and installed it for her. I asked if there was anything to backup first but there wasn't. She's been running it for three weeks now and can't get over it. "Why doesn't everyone know about this?" "Why haven't I tried it before?" She had been on Win 7 and the switch to Mint 13 Mate wasn't drastic at all. Other than learning new program names and the slightly different desktop navigation, she didn't have much of a learning curve. I sort of wish I'd had this Z three weeks ago, but hey, I've got it now and I can sure see how it can help convince more MeSSed up people to at least try Linux, especially when they get MeSSed up like my friend did. That was an easy sell!

I like it that Z comes with a Firewall installed. I think that should be mandatory for all builds. Just one thing, like the backup alert ... could you put in a similar alert for the Firewall? That way, noobs won't be likely to space it off. I think I'll post this for a suggestion.

Friends don't let friends drive MeSSed up.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:12:06 am

Hi,

you can maybe solve this problem with the installation of this package in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install numlockx

Description:

Utilities to enable the keyboard's Numeric Lock during X11
session initialization or using command line utility.

The package automatically installs session script to enable numlock
on session start.

Regards Wolfman :D

blaineclrk

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:03:08 am

Wolfman, gave it a try, but it didn't work. I got some interesting effect though! With numlock on, press either the 0 or the + key and the right click menu pops up. Tried in several different program with the same results. The enter key does what it should.

With numlock off, the exact same occurs.

If I have the mouse cursor over a program, that program's menu pops up and if I've got it over the bottom panel, the Awn menu pops up!

If I was going to use Z as my production choice, the numpad would be a necessity.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:39:56 am

Hi,

did you check in BIOS as to whether Numlock is set to on at boot??.

I don't really have any suggestions for you apart from asking whether you fully updates your system:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

blaineclrk

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:15:22 am

I'm dual-booting with Mint 13 Mate. Mint gives no problems with any part of the keyboard.

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:34:07 am

blaineclrk wrote:Wolfman, gave it a try, but it didn't work. I got some interesting effect though! With numlock on, press either the 0 or the + key and the right click menu pops up. Tried in several different program with the same results. The enter key does what it should.

With numlock off, the exact same occurs.

If I have the mouse cursor over a program, that program's menu pops up and if I've got it over the bottom panel, the Awn menu pops up!

If I was going to use Z as my production choice, the numpad would be a necessity.

Hi,

have you checked the keyboard layout in system settings, this may be part of the problem!!.

You can also take a look here:

http://empoccz.wordpress.com/2012/03/04 ... up-ubuntu/

It might be what you need!!.

blaineclrk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:08:08 am

Sorry everyone, I pulled Zorin off completely. It started going really haywire and unstable in regards to some operations. I put the weather applet on and it wouldn't update. I put the Earth View on my desktop and it wouldn't update either. I use an external hard drive for backups and web-dev work and the other day through Zorin, I started getting error messages stating that I didn't have permission to write to that device.

I tried it on an e-Machine, and through Mint, there's a rundown of the system following this. I wonder if this was something peculiar to this e-Machine? By the way, I used K3B to burn the image and the MD5sum matched so I don't think it was the ISO, or the DVD because I set the burn to verify and there were no errors.

And for some reason the Game menu went totally empty. I don't do much gaming of any sort, but I tried a couple before just to check the graphics and speed, which at that time were good, then POOF! I opened the menu and every game was gone! Really weird!

Thanks guys, but somethings not right and I decided to drop the effort ... for now.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor
Memory : 1802MB (1098MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 13 Maya
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - USB 2.0 Camera
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
Dell Dell USB Keyboard
Logitech Optical USB Mouse
USB 2.0 Camera
HDA NVidia Line
HDA NVidia Front Mic
HDA NVidia Rear Mic
HDA NVidia Front Headphone
HDA NVidia Line-Out
-Printers (CUPS)-
psc-1200-series : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-2
ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH
WD Ext HDD 1021

Wolfman

Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:34:24 am

Hi,

you said that you checked the CD and it proved okay, did you burn it at the slowest possible speed??, if you didn't; you will get read/write errors on the disk and it will lead to such problems as you describe!.

Have you tried to run "dpkg" in "Recovery Mode". ??.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman

blaineclrk

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:42:35 pm

I burned at the lowest speed K3B would give me, but didn't run 'dpkg'. Looking over the topic link I can say I did the quick reload on Synaptic and there weren't any packages to update. I do however run beachbit as root with everything but the memory option checked after every fresh install has fully updated and after a restart. That normally takes about an hour to complete. I'm not sure if I tried to fully update through Synaptic after that ... Hmm, going to have to put a notebook on the corner and try this again, but later on.
I like running bleachbit once this way, then I trim the settings way down to mainly just cache cleaning any time I feel like re-running it.
An update on our friend's Toshiba laptop that crashed and wouldn't go past the BIOS; I put Mint 13 on, ran the updates and she was impressed that it ran better and faster than MS. I did the bleachbit routine and she actually jumped when we restarted and she saw how fast her laptop really was. She's our son's ex mother-in-law. Yes we're not only on speaking terms but still very close friends! She's declared more than once that her daughter divorced our son, but she didn't! Anyway, she's a new Linux convert and loving it!
I'm going to give Zorin a rest for a while, going on vacation. When I get back I'll give it another go.
Swarfender, Vinux still has that eye of horus. Don't like it either, but Tony Sales picked it for the image not for the pagan god and it seems that it's a big part of the brand image now so it's not likely to go away. The developers have stated that as the dev team grows, they are going to work on attracting other developers who are familiar with other assistive programming tweaks to make getting to and setting the special mouse, keyboard and monitor settings much more intuitive and easier to get to. As they do this, I'd like to propose a few changes to that image, working in some changes to the swirls to show the mouse, keyboard and other hardware. With some good changes, it won't look so pagan, I hope.