This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software Center problems.

Milkofdoom

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01:04 pm

Hello, I am very very new to Linux, installed it a week ago in fact. First I am on a Dell Inspiron 1526 Notebook with straight Unaltered factory devices. After several Linux dists I settled on Zorin OS lite (It was the only one that didn’t freeze after installing.) It runs alright but I cannot open the Software Center. There are many programs on it I would Love to download but it simply will not open. I click open, normally it doesn’t do anything, sometimes it tells me it has crashed. It does not tell me why, but it asks me if I wish to send in a report, which I do. I have run the package repairs and updates as suggested by wolfman in a sticky post. If anyone has an Idea about it I would be amazingly grateful. I have no prior programming experience, didn’t even know the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit systems until now. If you need any further information I would be happy to furnish it.

Wolfman

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58:06 am

Hi,

the software center is playing sill buggers at the mo so please see this thread first and then let us know if it is still not working:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

To install an app assuming you know its correct name can be done using the terminal and the command:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

will install in this example the app "Synaptic", replace Synaptic with whatever name of app you wish, it must be typed correctly though!!, another example would be:

sudo apt-get install amarok

Regards Wolfman :D

Milkofdoom

Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:53:53 pm

Thank you for the advice, I have done the update but it is still being fussy. However if the service itself is down there is not much we can do. If I might bother you with one last question. Is there a listing of the apps I can look at. I could not find one on the website. Thank you very much for your help and consideration.

Hami101

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38:03 pm

allow more costimisation like putting in a theme manager that can change splash screens but to make and edit requires premium privaledges but can use Preimiem themes/free themes on free core version plz thnks contact me back as you get this.

Wolfman

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03:15 am

Milkofdoom wrote:Thank you for the advice, I have done the update but it is still being fussy. However if the service itself is down there is not much we can do. If I might bother you with one last question. Is there a listing of the apps I can look at. I could not find one on the website. Thank you very much for your help and consideration.

Hi,

you can get a complete list of all packages if you open Synaptic, type in a name in search and it will show you a list with results, if you want media playback; I suggest you type "dvd" in search and you will get a really long list of apps!!.

It is important for media playback to use the Medibuntu repo:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1852&p=6793#p6793

Wolfman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:15:44 am

Hi,

you can also change the download location of your software sources:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247