This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(Solved) Install & User Details?

Chris2030

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:22:13 am

Hi there,

I plan on doing a fresh install of Zorin.

Have a few queries:

1. Should be done on a Live System......correct?

2. Should Home folder be encrypted during install?

3. How can one change after installation user details like, Name, Computer name, user name, password etc?

Regards!

Chris2030

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:13:47 pm

Hello swarfendor for your in depth reply.

A few more questions:

1. During Zorin install & while creating user, language etc it displays some language packs couldn't be installed, may due to internet issues........to summarize how can one know that the install was a successful one........any tests to check it?

2. During my 1st install on a 320 GB HDD the swap was 3 GB & this time was 2.1 GB........any ideas why.....its not a dual boot or Zorin in VBox, only 1 OS i.e Zorin running on this machine?

3. Before installing should the formatted/zero fill format?

4. User Details: Name: Sony Vaio, Comp Description VGC-LS1, User name vaio.............this is what I put...........on the rt lower corner I see Sony Vaio.......previously don't recall what I put but had VGC-LS1 on the rt lower corner.

5. Thanks for telling to avoid check encryption of home folder..........

Btw you have a nice looking task bar

Hoping to hear from you...........

Regards!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:02:23 am

Hi Chris,

check the language support function in the system settings menu and see if it tells you to install more packages, if it doesn't you should be good to go.

You can use the installer to completely format your HDD during install if you only want Linux on your PC and it will automatically create partitions for you, see your other post about partitioning, there is a link for a how-to there!!.

Or here again and please don't dual post the same question in different threads thanks:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Regards Wolfman :D

Chris2030

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19:58 am

Thanks Wolfman for your detailed reply.

Apologize for the dual post.........

Regards!