This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Latest update

jessedwalker69

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36:21 am

The latest update; Version 4:4.8.4a-Oubuntu0-2, bricked my Zorin OS 6.

I now get a black screen with some warnings, and a blinking cursor.

How do I undo the update install?

I'll upload a pic of screen tomorrow.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:07:20 am

Hi Jesse,

can you boot into the recovery menu, if you can try running the third option in the Broken Files section:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Other than that I can only suggest a new install, maybe one of the other members has a better idea!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jessedwalker69

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:43:08 am

I could not boot into recovery. In fact, I couldn't do anything. Unresponsive.
I did a new install, and got everything working, but now I'm not sure if I should update again...

Wolfman

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:07:14 am

Hi Jesse,

same thing happened to me yesterday with Ubuntu 12.04, I couldn't fix it regardless of what I tried and did a re-install rather than cripple my brain. It worked after the updates no problem!!.

jessedwalker69

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:18:09 pm

After some debating, I decided to install the updates again...
This time, no problems. Not sure what happened.
Running 3.2.0.27 now.
Installed the updates on another computer with no problems.
Head scratcher.

Wolfman

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50:15 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, by the updates do you mean you are now running kernel 3.2.0-27? Mine updated to that in a very short space of time and now I get the Debian wallpaper for GRUB - 'Debian - the Universal Operating System.

Hi Swarf,

yes; it updated to the latest kernel but my problem was with ubuntu 12.04 and not Zorin, I have had no problems with Zorin despite having the same software settings as Ubuntu 12.04!!.

madvinegar

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:24:24 am

WM just to report that both my Zorin6 laptop and my ubuntu 12.04 laptop updated to 3.2.0-27 without any problem.

I am anxious now to get the 3.5.0 kernel which is said to be much much better, faster, lighter and cooler that the 3.2.0. Ofcourse I will wait till it is 100% ready. They have already released the Alpha3.