This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Backups & Partitions?

Chris2030

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:14:01 pm

Hello,

Though plan installing Zorin only on my machine having a 320 GB HDD........do you think that it should be partitioned during install, if yes how........the reason why I am asking is if back ups are created should they be placed on a separate partition vs on the same partition.......if for some reason they need to be restored if the main OS gets corrupted.........like in windows?

Basically have 2 questions but seem related & connected.......do I need to partition the drive to restore backups?

Regards!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52:47 am

Hi Chris,

you can use Deja-Dup for backups:

http://www.howtogeek.com/108869/how-to- ... th-dj-dup/

You should create a backup partition and use the format "FAT32" for it!!.

Here is a full tutorial for partitioning:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

Regards Wolfman :D

Chris2030

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45:28 am

Thanks Wolman.

Regards!

BrickTop

Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:39:58 pm

It would be a better idea to backup onto a completely different drive because if your partitioned drive went belly up you would lose everything.

Muzzargh

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:17:49 am

Which is exactly what just happened to me!!! Fortunately the old 'hard drive in the freezer for a couple of hours' trick revived my drive just long enough to recover most of my files.

In short back up to a separate drive! :-)

Wolfman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58:35 am

Muzzargh wrote:Which is exactly what just happened to me!!! Fortunately the old 'hard drive in the freezer for a couple of hours' trick revived my drive just long enough to recover most of my files.

In short back up to a separate drive! :-)

Hi Muzzargh,

if I want to "cook" my hard drive, should I use a regular oven or one of those fan assisted ones??. :D :D :D :D :D

Only joking mate, thanks for the input. :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

Muzzargh

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:22:55 am

I just used a plastic zip-lock bag, sucked as much air as I could out and sealed the bit where the connector cables came out with duct tape. You only understand the relief of seeing your lost data again when you almost lose it. :-)

Muzzargh

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:24:45 am

Wolfman, the oven is more for baking, I use a non stick pan to cook my drives :-)

Wolfman

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:40:53 pm

LOL :D :D :D :D :D :D :D