This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Wireless issues turning me away

sfeltch

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52:02 pm

I guess I am hoping to find someone that might have found an answer to this problem or maybe I am just venting.

I have recently been interested in switching for windows to linux as an operating system. I was very excited and pleasantly surprised to see how far linux has come when I started indulging in it.

I was all set to switch when I started using my laptop with a fresh install of linux on a wireless connection. I found that linux ( and I state linux because I am dual booting and dont have this problem with windows on this machine) constantly drops wireless connection. It's random, it can be a long or short drop, it might ask for passwords to reconnect or it might not, it might not even connect when 1st logging on. All of these I have experienced. I have since researched the internet and found tons of the same complaints for quite some time, ath9k seems not to be very stable.

I have been unable to find a resolution to this. Any suggestions? I have to have wireless and as much as I would like to run my linux operating system this is a deal breaker for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

madvinegar

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58:15 pm

Hi.
Try this.
Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

And add the line
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

Save, reboot and let me know if it worked.

If not please post back the results of the following terminal commands.

Code:
lspci -nn

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

Also please advise which version of Zorin you have installed.

sfeltch

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:01:05 am

madvinegar your a genius, thank you so very much. It has worked. I have been on the internet, updated without any disconnects. Been connected for hours without any problem. This worked out well for me.

Thank you so much for your help. Zorin for the win!

madvinegar

Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:03:26 am

I am very glad I helped my friend! Enjoy your stay and your experience with Zorin!

sfeltch wrote:madvinegar your a genius

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: