This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No Sound

yamamax

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47:50 pm

I have seen all the forums and searched the internet for an answer to my problem. I even got some advice and things to try from Zorin. Sill I have no sound at all.

Here are my computer specs.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

In sound settings:
Output: Dummy Output
Hardware: does not list anything

alsa--base.conf:
# autoloader aliases
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
#
# Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
#
install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
# Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
# Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
options bt87x index=-2
options cx88_alsa index=-2
options saa7134-alsa index=-2
options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
options snd-usb-ua101 index=-2
options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
# Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci
options snd-cmipci mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
# Keep snd-pcsp from being loaded as first soundcard
options snd-pcsp index=-2
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=auto

ran terminal commands:

seth@seth-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

(gedit:5844): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:1001:22: Not a valid image

(gedit:5844): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:10:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:5844): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:18:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:5844): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:28:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(gedit:5844): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:31:0: 'sideb' is not a valid property name
seth@seth-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ killall pulseaudio
seth@seth-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo alsa force-reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: (none loaded).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: (none to reload).
seth@seth-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$ pulseaudio -D
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
seth@seth-HP-Pavilion-dv6700-Notebook-PC:~$

madvinegar

Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:44:10 am

Hi. i suppose you have tried out all settings in sound preferences.

Try also this:
Open terminal and write:
Code:
gstreamer-properties

Then on the audio tab, try out all the settings one by one (also try auto-detect) to see if you get sound

Wolfman

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38:52 am

Hi,

try using Pusle Audio:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Let us know if it works for you!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

djringjr

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:21:06 am

I am also having this issue. For several months I have had sound but yesterday perhaps when I upgraded packages, the sound stopped working. lshw reports
*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
description: Audio device
product: 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 03
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz

I tried the page on Pulse Audio and installed that, and installed ALSA firmware and everything that I found regarding sound. I can't understand what happened but recently I had a problem with locales and I was seeing Chinese so I moved my old "home" folder to a new folder with a different name (to preserve my files) then I removed my user with deluser and then after my user was gone and I received a success notice, I added the same user - when I did that I noticed that I had no sound. Perhaps it had something to do with the locales problem and Chinese (instead of locales being LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en.

Still no sound and the exact same symptoms the original posting member has.

'Thanks

DR

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25:42 am

Hi DR,

install the package "localepurge" via Synaptic, it will ask you what language you want, assuming you want English, only select that language and let it do its thing, then restart your PC.

For sound, open both the sound volume manger and Pulse Audio Manager and see if there is something that is muted.

Do you have an Nvidia card, if you do, paste the commands in a terminal one after the other; and use this PPA for drivers:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

You can try starting your PC in recovery mode and run "dpkg", be sure to click on "Network" before you try and run dpkg, this may solve the problem too.

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

djringjr

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48:21 pm

Hello William,

I have done all of that. I don't have Nvidia. I also don't have /dev/dsp or any device. For some reason when Zorin updated it no longer detects my sound card.

Best wishes,

DR

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12:30 pm

Hi,

try these commands in a terminal first, then restart your PC:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

followed by:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then see post # 7 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1979191

djringjr

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:01:44 am

Thanks for the try Wolfman, I was hoping with Post #7 which I had not seen before, I followed that but i still have:

root@mycomputer# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

Do you think I an update trashed the kernel modules?
# uname -a
Linux myusername 3.2.0-27-generic-pae #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 15:06:05 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Does this kernel have no sound by chance?

David

Wolfman

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40:15 am

H i David,

that is quite possible, did you try selecting a different kernel from the other options in the boot menu??. Try an older kernel and see if you have sound, an alternative is to find the latest kernel in Synaptic and right click it and mark it for a re-isntall, reboot your PC and see if you have sound!!.

djringjr

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:18:08 am

I tried that also. This is a laptop and sound works in Windows. It just doesn't work in Zorin, it works in pure Ubuntu 12.04, it works in Vinux 2.02 (based on Lucid), it works on Debian Squeeze but not Zorin.

And I really liked Zorin - for some reason it was much faster than Ubuntu - but this is a show stopper for blind users who need sound to see. i am one of the Vinux developers and I was trying out Zorin. My /etc/apt/sources.list file seems to have lost a zorin ppa on last update though.

One of the last things I did before I upgraded was to install spotify which is a music sharing program - you can share music files with friends.

Then I did a normal sudo aptitude update & upgrade

Then - no sound. I've gone back to the oldest of three kernels - no hardware detected at all for sound.
David

Wolfman

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23:47 am

Hi David,

have you tried removing "spotify" ??.

This may be breaking the system!!.

djringjr

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:04:37 pm

Oh, yes removed and gone.

I just don't have my hardware detected. How bad is that.

DR

Wolfman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:55:49 am

Hi David,

I found this for you:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sound ... gProcedure

Hope it helps.

djringjr

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51:22 am

That is very good. I have no idea what went wrong - I tried (without that page) to reinstall sound but still no detection of my sound card - but at one time I had sound. I formatted the partitions and installed Debian Stable. Zorin as I have said is much faster, I have no idea why.

So I'm back to Debian, it works, but it isn't as fast as Zorin, nor as pretty.

Thanks for all the help.

DR

Wolfman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:25:39 pm

Hi,

I have a question, did you install with a disk and did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed??????. If you didn't, it could well lead to such problems as you are experiencing now, ie, read/write errors on the drive.

djringjr

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20:56 pm

I am having no problems with read/write errors. I did have a problem with locales as they turned to Chinese but I fixed that. I did burn at lowest speed I always do that, I'm in no hurry.

No for some reason the system detected no sound card - lshw picks it up but it is Unassigned. So alsamixer shows no devices as does aplay -a

David

Wolfman

Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:38:50 am

Hi David,

did you try removing ALSA and just use Pulse??.

Did you install install "libsox-fmt-all" and Paman" ?, you need to make sure that Sox is also installed.