This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Dell/broadcom 1395 wireless drivers newbie to linux

ChrisR

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:36:54 pm

Hi, I am trying to test out Zorin on a live cd. I am a real wet behind the ears newbie to linux. I found the drivers for my broadcom wireless card I am not sure how to get zorin to use them ( I am frustrated and confused!!) I managed to get Ubutoo to go to the internet, I read that that program automatically picked up on my 1395 wireless card. Why would Zorin not do the same? If it is based off of Ubutoo? I have read all the instructions I can find about my wireless, I still cannot get it to run (sorry if this has been posted here before). I really like Zorin's GUI interface. If there is a video on this it would help this old guy out. Due to an Illness and meds I am on I do not do well with written instructions anymore.

Thank you for your patience and guidance ;)
Chris

Wolfman

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50:11 pm

Hi Chris,

try this one out for size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03RcFkS ... re=related

If it isn't informative enough, there are a stack of links to the right of the vid!!.

See also:

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/05/in ... -10-11-04/

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:55:23 pm

Chris,

see this also, assuming you are using Zorin 6 Core Final:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

ChrisR

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:04:43 pm

sorry wolfman yes I am using Zorin 6 core final

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01:42 am

Hi Chris,

borrow or buy a network cable to set it up, you said as (in your other post) you have no internet connection, you cannot download the package, all you need is a cable for a few minutes and you can install the drivers!!.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:36:27 am

As WM said, if your wireless was recognized by ubuntu, it should be recognized by Zorin6 as well. Plug an ethernet cable and do the necessary updates as described above.
If you still don't get a working wireless, before installing any drivers, open terminal and post here the result of the following commands so as I can identify the model of your card and find if there is any problem.

Code:
lspci

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16:40 pm

You can also download the drivers from here and copy them to Ubuntu (Zorin):

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/all/ ... n/download

Double click the package to install under Zorin.

ChrisR

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:39:01 pm

madvinegar wrote:As WM said, if your wireless was recognized by ubuntu, it should be recognized by Zorin6 as well. Plug an ethernet cable and do the necessary updates as described above.
If you still don't get a working wireless, before installing any drivers, open terminal and post here the result of the following commands so as I can identify the model of your card and find if there is any problem.

Code:
lspci
this came up with a list very long
Code:
sudo lshw -c network
bcm4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
Code:
sudo rfkill list all
eth0 (not sure exaclty to put here again very long list :cry:

ChrisR

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:46:25 pm

Hi all my puter is back up and running!!! yea!!!!
I managed to d/l the drivers to a usb stick where to put???
I tried a cable it still will not install the drivers I was able to download the drivers to a usb stick. ok next question where do I put them???
I made up the following partitions
/(root)
/boot
(swap)
/usr
/usr/local
/opt
/var
/tmp
/home
I want them to be usable by anyone not just myself

Thanks
Chris

dell Inspiron 1720
4gb ddr2 ram
intelchip set gm965/gl960
fsb 199mhz
intel core duo cpu t8300@2.4GHZx2
320 GB HD
Zorin 64bit

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:39:49 pm

Hi Chris,

you can put thenm in downlods in your home folder, you didn't need to creat so many partitions, 1 swap, 1 root and 1 home are enough in general.

Use this command in a terminal to install gdebi package manager if you haven't already installed it to install your single package, right clcik the package and then open with "gdebi":

sudo apt-get install gdebi

ChrisR

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:26:39 pm

thanks Wolf will give it a try it is too late to change the partitions I already have both Zorin and Ubuntu installed (again) LOL!!! I have reinstalled them more than once. After this I will need to install sun Java to play Pogo games

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36:58 pm

In a terminal:

sudo apt-get install default-jre

ChrisR

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32:00 am

SOLVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pulled my Internet router down from the top shelf of my wifes hutch. The cable was too loose in the ethernet port GRRRRRRRRRRR ripping my hair out for days cause of a loose connection.

Thanks for you help
Chris

ChrisR

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39:15 am

thanks for the sudo commands they have so far done the trick

Thanks again
CHris

Wolfman

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:07:41 am

Hi Chris,

glad to hear you found the cause, none of us thought that that might be the problem so don't feel too bad, you have learned a lot in a short time which is also good.

A tip for the future if you want to partition for multiple versions of Linux, 1 swap for all, 1 root and 1 home for each OS you want to install. If you try to install an Ubuntu based and Red Hat based system using the same bootloader, you may well find that you will hae a problem booting at least one of the OS'es afterwards, try to stick to the same type of Linux OS, always make sure that Windows is installed first....before the Linux versions!!.

I will mark this as solved :D :D :D :D :D