This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] how do i resize icons quikly on the desktop

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:55:49 pm

i was wanting to know how do i reisze all icons o nthe desktop where they are smaller and take up less space

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32:30 pm

Change icon size on desktop:
Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Nautilus > Icon-View > Default-Zoom-Level = Small

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:28:17 pm

ok when i drag the dconf editor to desktop liek u are tellign me to do it insteads puts a huge folder on desktop named bin

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37:09 pm

WM did not say to drag the dconf-editor to desktop.

If you don't have it, first install dconf-editor via ubuntu software center.
Then open it and navigate to Org > Gnome > Nautilus > Icon-View > Default-Zoom-Level and change it from "medium" to "small". (as WM very correctly suggests).

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:44:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Now you need to install a few packages which you will need to adjust settings on your PC, open Synaptic and type “dconf-tools” and mark it for install, do the same with “gdebi” and then click on “Apply”, once the packages are installed; close Synaptic.
(dconf-tools is the new configuration editor for Gnome 3 and gdebi is a single deb package install tool)

Dconf-Editorr Settings:

Click on Applications > System Tools > dconf Editor and drag it to the desktop (see below for info about adding icons to the desktop) and then double click it to open it. Once dconf has started you might want to make a couple of changes, the following are some important ones I used:

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:46:31 pm

but anways, i have the program installed but when i click it it does not open at all

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:49:26 pm

nevermind i had to open the start menu bout 5x i n a row then minimize maximize a window then click it 4 x and it started working

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:50:11 pm

Open synaptics package manager, find the package dconf-tools, right-click it and mark it for re-installation, and click apply.

After it is re-installed, try to open dconf editor again.

bluedragon2k9

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54:12 pm

k that helped now it opens just fine without doing all that i changed it from standard to small seems to look nice thank you both for the help once again much appreciated.hopefully i can learn linux been a windows user my whole life.so its a real learning process for me you know.

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:57:32 pm

Glad we helped.
Hope you enjoy the linux world!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42:23 pm

@MV,

part of your text:

"WM did not say to drag the dconf-editor to desktop."

I actually do say that in the guide; but I also say:

"(see below for info about adding icons to the desktop)"

The main thing is he got it working :D :D :D :D :D

I will add some more info to the guide about AWN (Avant) eventually!!.

Marked as (SOLVED) :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:09:39 pm

WM I though he was referring to your earlier post. I did not know that he had your guide in mind.
Nevertheless, I just said that it is not necessary to create a desktop icon of dconf-editor in order to use it.

As you said, the main thing is that he got it working!

Wolfman

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13:47 pm

Hi MV,

I just added some more info about AWN to the guide, if you want to proof-read it :D :D :D
(It is near the bottom!!)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D