This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Built in devices (blue tooth/ wifi) unavailable help

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:20:58 pm

I just installed zorin 6 lite on my hp mini 2133 netbook and I can't access the wifi. When I try to open the windows wireless drivers, it asks me to install new driver and select inf file. Where do I find this file?

At the moment, I don't have access to a ethernet connection. The only access point I have access to is the bplunwired lib. connection.

Any help with problem I'm very grateful.

Hp mini 2133 netbook
1gb ram
Wd 320gb hdd
Broadcom wireless adapter
Blue tooth adapter unknown

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44:27 pm

Hi.
I think you have the bcm4311 driver.
To confirm that, post the result of
Code:
lspci

If I am correct and provided that you indeed have the bcm4311 do the following:

1) Go to additional drivers and de-activate the recommended STA broadcom driver.
2) Restart
3) Plug an ethernet cable to get internet, open synaptics package manager (or ubuntu software center) and download/install the following two packages:

b43-fwcutter
firmware-b43-installer

Your wifi should be working. No need to say that if there is any kind of wifi switch on your laptop (or a key combination) it should be set to "ON".

Also, please post the outcome of
Code:
sudo rfkill list all

to see if there is any blockage with your bluetooth.

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49:42 pm

If at possible, please go into further detail.please thank you

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:52:41 pm

For starters, open terminal (ctrl+alt+T), write
Code:
lspci

and hit <enter>
Copy and paste the results here.

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:55:17 pm

you were right about the card. What to do next?

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58:46 pm

Go to additional drivers and DE-activate the recomemnded STA driver.
To do that, open terminal again, write
Code:
jockey-gtk
and hit <enter>.
I don't know if you have any other options, but one of them is a Broadcom STA driver. If it is enabled, make sure 1)to disable it and 2)to restart.
If it is not enabled, we will go to the next step.

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05:03 pm

Received (-) downloading package indexes failed, please check your network status.
Most drivers will not be available.

What should I do next?

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:09:51 pm

Ok, lets try the easy method.

Plug an ethernet cable to get internet from your router to your laptop.
Open terminal (ctrl+Alt+T) and write the following commands, one by one, and hit <enter> after each one.
After the 1st command you will be asked for your password. Write it normally, even if it will not appear,and hit <enter> again.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Code:
sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source

Reboot and let me know if your wireless works.

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18:13 pm

Unable to find step one and step two. :(
What to dps next?

madvinegar

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25:55 pm

I just read that you don't have access to ethernet (at the moment).
When you do get access to internet via ethernet, follow the steps in my post above. Your wireless should get working.

There is nothing more you can do right now, unless you get internet via ethernet. (as you need to download these packages).

P.S. Just for my information, please also open terminal and post here the result of
Code:
sudo rfkill list all

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:30:42 pm

Command not found

Dijinn7

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:10:20 pm

did that and it said, "command not found."

madvinegar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:59:37 am

Did you copy and paste it or you re-wrote it? Check for spelling errors.

Dijinn7

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:07:23 am

Typed it correctly. Stilll not found.can I manually install it our write the coding?

madvinegar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:38:51 am

You need internet. Do you have access to internet via ethernet cable???

Dijinn7

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:57:36 am

I don't know yet. I has windows 8 rp and it messed up my computer and network drives/hardware so I haven't the slightest clue. :(

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00:01 am

Dijinn7 wrote:I don't know yet. I has windows 8 rp and it messed up my computer and network drives/hardware so I haven't the slightest clue. :(

Run the Zorin CD in live mode and see if you can connect to the web using Google Chrome browser and let us know!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:05:42 am

Unfortunately, since he has bcm4311, he cannot connect using the live CD. This driver is not recognized out-of-the-box, and needs this very easy process I explain in my prenious post so as to be enabled.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:11:59 am

madvinegar wrote:Unfortunately, since he has bcm4311, he cannot connect using the live CD. This driver is not recognized out-of-the-box, and needs this very easy process I explain in my prenious post so as to be enabled.

Sorry MV,

I meant to write "using a network cable" but forgot to add it :oops:

That way, he can install the system correctly and hopefully download and install the necessary drivers after install!!.

madvinegar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:21:27 am

WM if he had access to internet using a network cable, we wouldn't be having any problem. He would have downloaded the packages/drivers and he would be all set now.
I don't think there is something wrong with his system.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:38:43 am

MV,

did he thoroughly test the Live CD before committing to install. I mean, did he check that the internet was working before he installed!!.

madvinegar

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:53:50 am

Hm...
He says that he does not have access to a router and subsequently he cannot get internet via ethernet cable (for the time being).
The wireless card he has, is not recognized out of the box.

Therefore, I don't think he was able to test if internet was working even with a live CD.
The only way to test that before installing, would be to create a live USB with persistent space, and download the packages needed for BCM4311 to be enabled. But he would still need internet via ethernet cable to do so. :!:

So, summarizing:

1) He definetely needs to get internet via ethernet cable (or i.e. via a netgear usb stick that is recognized out of the box).
2) He must follow my guide, i.e.:
a) de-activate the recomended STA driver from additional drivers, and reboot.
b) install b43-fwcutter and firmware-b43-installer

That's it. We can keep going on discussing the matter for ever, but he needs the above to be done to get his wireless working. :lol:
Check out my signature. I have the same wireless card. :D

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08:37 am

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625226

Please read the above link, without the internet connection, you won't get it working!!.

Plug it in to a friends router just to get the Wifi drivers, it will only take a few minutes!!.

lesaus1

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:00:30 am

I read this forum with some interest because I have a similar problem - only with wifi, it seems - my external bluetooth dongle blinks away happily.

I followed the instructions to determine the model for my Broadcom wireless device and discovered it is not the BCM4311 but very close - BCM4312.

Would the same advice given above also apply to that device?

Thanks for your help. I'm a complete Linux newbie, having installed a couple of other distros over the years and always run into the wifi issue.

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:57:31 am

Just had a chance trip update zorin but I'm still having trouble with the wifi.
What should I donow?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:15:35 am

Do you have access to internet now via ethernet?

If yes do the following:

Plug an ethernet cable to get internet from your router to your laptop.
Open terminal (ctrl+Alt+T) and write the following commands, one by one, and hit <enter> after each one.
After the 1st command you will be asked for your password. Write it normally, even if it will not appear,and hit <enter> again.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Code:

Reboot and let me know if your wireless works.

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:23:35 pm

I've run the update manager unactivated the additional drivers and still nothing. :-(

Wolfman

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:01:59 pm

lesaus1 wrote:I read this forum with some interest because I have a similar problem - only with wifi, it seems - my external bluetooth dongle blinks away happily.

I followed the instructions to determine the model for my Broadcom wireless device and discovered it is not the BCM4311 but very close - BCM4312.

Thanks for your help. I'm a complete Linux newbie, having installed a couple of other distros over the years and always run into the wifi issue.

the same rules should apply to you, did you try simply using the "Additional drivers" tool in system settings??.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03:52 pm

Dijinn7 wrote:I've run the update manager unactivated the additional drivers and still nothing. :-(

Have you or your PC switched off the Wifi??, check and see that is is set to "On".

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:13:42 pm

Further to WM's suggestions, did you install the firmware-b43-installer???

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21:28 pm

lesaus1 wrote:I read this forum with some interest because I have a similar problem - only with wifi, it seems - my external bluetooth dongle blinks away happily.

Hi. I have just seen you post.
You should follow different instructions as the drivers may be similar but not the same.

First of all, try updating your system and then, (if it is not already activated), activate the recomended STA broadcom driver from additional drivers
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

as it is said that your driver usually works after and update and after enabling the STA driver. Reboot and see if it works.

If your wireless does not work, then do the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer

and then reboot.
Your driver is "bcm4312 LP-PHY". So you need the package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (and not the firmware-b43-installer). The results from lspci should confirm that. Am I correct?
If you have installed the package "firmware-b43-installer" you should remove it as it is not supported by your wireless card.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove firmware-b43-installer

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:25:15 pm

the wifi stays on all the time.
Will a usb wifi work to get this done?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30:25 pm

Dijinn7 wrote:the wifi stays on all the time.
Will a usb wifi work to get this done?

It depends on the brand. Some work out-of-the-box and some need extra drivers.
However, it will be a waste of money as your wireless card BCM4311 is supported just fine by ubuntu.

For the last time, you do the following:

-Plug an ethernet cable to get internet.
-Go to additional drivers and DE-activate the recomended STA Broadcom driver
-Reboot
-Open synaptics package manager and install the following two packages:
i) b43-fwcutter
ii) firmware-b43-installer

That's it! Nothing more, nothing less. I have the same wireless card (check my signature) and it works excellent.

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:02:04 pm

It's a mobile hotspot usb wifi

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:23:37 pm

Are you using this mobile broadband usb stick right now? I mean, do you have internet on your laptop right now?
If yes, then it should do just fine! The two packages are very small so it should download them easily and quickly.
Follow the guide!!

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:38:43 pm

in the process of obtaining the usb stick.
but will it work as soon as I plug it in with the zorin operating system?

madvinegar

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:45:09 pm

You need to follow 2-3 steps to get it set up.

Dijinn7

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20:59 am

Wifi is working now. On to problem two, bluetooth won't let me view my files on my phone. What should I do?

Wolfman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:08:50 am

Hi,

what type of phone and did you check out their website for tips and tricks??.

madvinegar

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:31:37 am

Dijinn7 wrote:Wifi is working now.

First of all....

YYYAAAHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coming now the bluetooth problem.
Very important: Go to "personal file sharing" and tick the box that says "Share files over bluetooth" and "receive files in downloads folder over bluetooth".
You need to do this in order your BT to be able to communicate with your phone.

Dijinn7

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:00:47 am

when i cick to go to preferences it does nothing and i can't use my bluetooth once i click to view files on device.
back to the wifi.........again. :x for some reason i can't find some wifi hotspots. when i go to the lib. i can't find their wifi what should i do?

:?: :?: :?:

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:18:13 am

Hi,

have you looked in System Settings > Hardware > Bluetooth to see if there is anything there you are missing??.

Dijinn7

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:37:32 am

where do i go to find this out?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:56:16 am

System Settings > Hardware > Bluetooth :D

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BluetoothSetup

Dijinn7

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:22:45 am

THAT DID NOT HELP. NOW I/M MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER.
IAM VERY NEW TO LINUX SO I NEED ALOT OF INFO TO FIX MY PROBLEMS, SORRY.

madvinegar

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11:21 am

Just to check if your BT is blocked could you please post back the result of the terminal command:
Code:
sudo rfkill list all

As regards your wifi, if it is working properly maybe it is a problem of the hotspots. Have you tried connecting to a home network to test if it works ok?

Dijinn7

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37:09 pm

sudo: rfkill: command not found

WITH THE WIFI, IT WORKS BUT SOME HOTSPOTS JUST WON'T SHOW UP EVEN A HOME NETWORK.
BUT THE HOTSPOT SHOWS UP ON MY PHONE.
WYRD ENOUGH IS THAT SOME OF THE HOSPOTS ARE NOT LISTED ON EITHER DEVICE LIKE THE BPLUNWIRED SHOWS UP ON MY PHONE AND NOT ON THE COMPUTER SAME AS WITH THE HOME NETWORK IT SHOWS UP ON MY PHONE AND NOT ON THE COMPUTER. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

lesaus1

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:41:13 am

Thanks very much for the advice. I had a small glitch, using the terminal method. Was told that "An unsupported BCM4312 low-power (LP-PHY) device was found. So I took the initiative and got the low power driver installed. (Strangely, I had to exit Terminal and re-enter to get that to work)

I have issues with connection now, which I believe is a problem with authentication. I keep getting asked to provide the password for the network (which has worked for 2 dozen Windows machines and one or two Macs, over the years but doesn't want to work For Zorin, for some reason.

I've looked into the settings section for Wireless and discovered there's a heap I've never even heard of before but I'm suspecting there might be an issue with the way my wireless router is set up; namely, 64bit WEP and MAC address authentication. MAC address is already in the list of "allowables", from Windows but it looks a bit like ZorinOS won't support WEP at less than 128 bit encryption. I tried entering the current password with setting at WEP-Auto, hoping that would do it but no joy :(

Wolfman

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31:06 am

Hi chaps,

I really can only suggest that you both start at the very beginning, it is often far easier just to delete the Wifi user accounts you have and reset new parameters!!.

I can really only refer you to the links already posted on this thread and MV is better suited to helping you out.

As I say, that is what I would do!!.

lesaus1

Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:23:30 am

Thanks again, Wolfman. You've been really helpful already.

I've got the driver in place. It's more my issue now, getting the connection authenticated. I totally appreciate your help.

madvinegar

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48:42 am

Try this.
Go to network manager>edit connections>wireless, higlight your connection and click on edit>IPv6 Settings tab and set "Method" to "ignore".
Save and exit.

Dijinn7

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34:04 pm

QUICK QUESTION, HOW DO TRANSFER FILES FROM A WINDOWS COMPUTER TO A ZORIN COMPUTER? AND HOW DO YOU SETUP A SHARED NETWORK?

Dijinn7

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:46:36 am

For the third time the wifi has gone down........ but wait there's more,now my sound has gone with it wha
    t should I do?

Wolfman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31:02 am

Hi,

I have a question, when you installed, did you use a disk or USB install, if you used a disk and you didn't burn it at the slowest possible speed, you would get read/write errors on the OS which may well lead to such problems.

But back to your problem, run the following commands in a terminal:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and:

sudo apt-get update

followed by:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You should use a cable connection to do this because you don't want the connection to crash halway through the updates.

You can also take a look at this thread about Pulse Audio:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2023

Let us know if this helps.

Dijinn7

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45:50 am

Don't know what I sure and had to reinstall zorin-os.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:16:26 am

Hi,

are you still having problems after the new install??.

Dijinn7

Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:15:11 am

MY ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED THANK YOU :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

shkarst

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18:51 pm

I am having the same exact issue, but with an Asus 900HD XP netbook, A friend got Zorin Lite installed for me, but it is NOT seeing mine or any Wifi Connections around me>>>>HELP :-)

Wolfman

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:39:48 am

Hi,

it is a case of drivers missing just like under Windows.

Your hardware is supported by Ubuntu (ZorinOS): http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/har ... 0903-2141/

You might need your friend to help you but this thread is marked as solved:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1973863

Have you tried simply looking in the settings manager??.

System settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers and see if your device shows up so you can just activate it!!.

THREAD CLOSED; CONTINUED HERE:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3266&p=15612#p15612