This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) security

gordie1969

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05:53 am

just wondering zorin is for security I'm using Ubuntu on my desktop and saw zorin and liked the interface and was wondering how secure it was I'm starting to really hate windows an I do some banking online an just web browse my forums and so I was wondering with beening ubuntu /debien if was like them for security.

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:55:42 am

Hi,

security is a broad concept, if you are using online banking, you need to make sure that there is nothing special about it that would need Windows drivers or special hardware like a card scanner.

There are indeed a few viruses out there but the biggest worry you would have is someone trying to hack your bank account!!.

Linux is secure within the bounds that as long as you leave the system in user mode only and don't surf the web as root user, you shouldn't have any problems, I have been using Linux for years and have never had a virus.

I use "Browser Protect" which is a FireFox add-on and it suits me fine!!.

See the links below if you want an on-demand free anti virus scanner for Linux:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1948

For a 32 bit version only (no 64 bit version available) from Avast:

http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab2

Regards Wolfman :D

gordie1969

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:39:54 pm

thanks Wolfman I'm tired of Windows and looking at Linux I have Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on desktop and I just put on Zorin OS 6 64 bit I like how Linux just works in most cases nice and smooth no more not responding and with Ubuntu you now get a crash report and you can report it to the developers to fix the bug which is great unlike Windows with there do or do not send c*** you don't know if if goes through or not

thanks Wolfman

Wolfman

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43:16 pm

Hi gordie1969,

please take a few moments to read this guide "wot i rote".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Regards Wolfman :D