This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to enter Windows XP Safe Mode in a dual Boot System

Linesman

Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:16:34 pm

I'm afraid I'm back in trouble with my system. Both Win XP and Zorin were functioning correctly until I needed to add extra USB oulets. This I did not using a Hub but by installing a 4 Way USB PCI Card. On installation and booting up with Win XP drivers were auto located and loaded. To check out if all was well I tried with success a USB Flash Drive in Win XP and Zorin - all went well. Following a number of Boot Ups a final boot into Win XP indicsted that Windows had updated a Driver for recently installed hardware and it was necessary to restart to continue.This I did - the problem starts from there - Every time I try a normal or safe mode start in Win XP through the Grub Menu the Computer shuts down initially and then when rebooted returns always to the Windows diagnostic page, Normal Start, Safe Mode etc., Just one continuous circle. Zorin when selected boots normal and even functions normal.
Changing the order of the default in the Grub Menu ( based on info from the Forum ) does not alter the situation since the Computer shuts down first on any selection. When in Win XP returning then to the diagnostic page which just continues to go in a circle.
Is it possible to boot Win XP direct without the Computer shutting down.?? It will then allow me to carry out a Safe Mode investigation and hopefully find and eliminate the problem .
If this is normal with a Dual Boot System surely others are likely to run into the same issue!.
Thanking you all again for any possible help,
Regards,
Linesman.

Linesman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:58:17 pm

Hello Swarfendor437,

To let you know I'm out of trouble but only by removing the PCI Card. Whether to reinstall is questionable.
Ok - I checked on the info you were good enough to forward to me and outline here the steps that I took -
I did explain that based on a dual booting system it was impossible to select with success any selection from the Win XP Diagnostic Page. The Page itself would be displayed but entering any selection just restarts the Computer and in the case of Win XP it just goes into a closed loop and returns the Diagnostic Page again therefore " last known good configuration " could not be acheived.
I don't see any settings for "Essential Updates only" in Win XP. The "Express" selection seems to indicate Security Updates only - the alternative being "Custom Updates" which pulls in Software and Hardware Updates but this I did not use. I think Auto Updates pulls in "Security Updates only" and of course you can set from Auto to Notification.
The ultimate Boot CD I never applied since it was easier to try the System out first with the Card removed and then "Bingo".
It appears that if a problem with Windows occurs that requires a Selection to be made from its Diagnostic Page, with Dual Booting via the Grub Menu it cannot be acheived. Or is this an incorrect statement? In other words is there a means of Booting direct into Windows anyway.
I ponder on clean installations such as Windows XP on HDD0 and Zorin on HDD1. Since one tends to stay in an Operating System for some time, changing the order of Booting in the BIOS is quick and does not present any problems.
I'd welcome views whether this is feasible.
Anyway many thanks for your help on this matter.
Regards,
Linesman.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22:10 am

Hi,

as soon as you select XP from the start menu, hit the F8 key and you can get into the Windows recovery menu!. I always bash it a few times just to be sure!!.

Regards Wolfman :D