This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Confused?

Chris2030

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:49:47 pm

I like Zorin big time but since am new to Linux & have been living in the windows world for decades, have simple, stupid queries.

1. Firstly can install Zorin & use it but don't know how to partition machine's 320 GB drive, since would want a separate partition to store back ups........how many partitions should I have like primary 100 GB, for back ups/data, & finally swap? How do I create, name, size them & there file structure.........could you care to make a sample partitioning plan for the 320 GB?

2. How does one restore a back up if the OS crashes, using a Rescue CD?

3. How accurate is a back up created?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:30:44 am

Hi Chris,

for a start you can take a look here about partitioning, you only need to enter different MB sizes for the partitions you want to use, the ones shown in this guide are only for demo purposes:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

If you are creating a dual boot system (Windows and Linux), you can use the drive more or less 50-50, you should create a partition for Windows in NTFS format, then 3 partitons for Linux.

Windows = 150 GB in NTFS format
Linux swap = max of 4GB
Linux root = 20GB
Linux home = the remaining 146GB

Use DejaDup for backup, how good it is I cannot tell you, I don't do back-ups as I have all my c*** on an external drive.

https://launchpad.net/deja-dup

Regards Wolfman :D

Chris2030

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:37:39 pm

Thanks Wolfman for your detailed explanation.

I have heard that dual booting Linux & Windows is generally not recommended for beginners, creates Grub issues, how far is that correct?

Is GParted included in Zorin Ultimate?

Regards!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43:35 pm

Hi Chris,

gparted is included but I recommend download a copy for future use!!.

You must start somewhere, that is why I made that guide about partitioning and kept in mind it is for beginners!!.

If you have any comments about it; or you didn't understand something, please ask!!.

Chris2030

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47:23 pm

Drive distribution now:

Total 320 GB.

Primary active C (NTFS): Windows: 100 GB: Occupied 16 GB.

Primary D: (NTFS): For back ups & Data: 200 GB: Occupied 30 GB.

How would you re-size with these to install Zorin if dual boot........personally which I am not in favor of cause of grub issues later..........

Regards!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59:58 pm

Resize D: to 100Gb which will leave you enough space for a complete Linux install.

Stop worrying about GRUB, it is fully automatic and only in rare cases does your PC burst into flames causing power-blackoouts and visits from the National Guard :D :D :D :D :D

If you use that guide I made, you can play around and discover what does what only "DON'T CLICK ON APPLY" until you are really 100% certain that you want to commit and you will be fine, it is important that you read and read again the part about "Something Else".

Read the guide again, start Gparted and look the app over, it really is a case of just taking it slowly; that is all.

Your partitions should be with the 100GB available:

swap of about 30000 to 40000 (30 to 40 thousand megabytes)
root of about 15000 to 20000 (15 to 20 thousand megabytes)
you can use the rest for home roughly 76GB

Regards Wolfman

Chris2030

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:06:59 pm

Thanks Wolfman appreciate your assistance big time.

Now I shall start..........shall keep you updated.

Regards!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:20:50 pm

Good luck :D :D :D :D

Chris2030

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23:31 pm

Thanks Wolfman.

Downloaded the GParted iso & have decided to keep Zorin only on this machine, since have windows on others.

Now my question to you are:

1. How would you partition the 320 GB drive only for Zorin?

2. Should I install Zorin after partitioning?

Hoping to hear from you as always..........

Regards!

Chris.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:44:42 am

Hi Chris,

use Gparted and erase all partitions, create "swap" first, then root of about 20Gb, the rest you can use for home, assuming you are only installing one version of linux, if you install another version too, you still only need 1 swap but seperate root and home partitions for both.

Chris2030

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53:51 pm

Thanks Wolfman.

Apologize to be asking such simple question but do realize all the variables.................

Regards!

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:48:24 am

Hi Chris,

you don't have to say sorry, there is nothing to apologise for, the forum is here for everyone to learn , to help and/or get help, we all started somewhere and just because you have a simple question, it doesn't make your question silly!!.