This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Empty space in System Tray when icon close in Zorin 6 Lite

riclags

Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:45:52 am

I am using Zorin OS 6 Lite and I really like it. But I am getting this issue with the System Tray panel applet that when an icon closes, there is an empty space left.

Example: I open Sticky Notes so an icon for it appears on the System Tray. When I close the app, the icon also closes and a gaping empty space is left in the System Tray.

See screen shot below, that space between the Network Manager icon and the time is what I mean.

How do I fix this?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:16:09 am

Hi,

did you fully update your system??:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

did you install the addtional drivers for your graphics card from System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers (ATI and Nvidia only).

For Nvidia drivers, please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

riclags

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31:15 am

Hi Wolfman,

Yes, I have updated the system and the Additional Drivers don't show anything to Enable.

I have pinned down the issue to only happen when I plug in my iPhone to charge it via the USB. You see, the <?> icon appears and when I am done charging the phone and plug it out, the <?> icon disappears leaving the gap. Since I don't switch off my computer often, the next time I charge the phone, the <?> appears again but occupies a new space and when unplugged, leaves another empty space (making that 2 empty spaces). Imagine how wide the System Tray will look after 10 phone charging with all those empty spaces.

Before:

After:

The work around I've found so far is to remove the "System Tray" from the panel applets an add it again and the space is gone.

BTW, when the "Open in File Manager" dialog opens during the time I plug in my phone, I press "Cancel" in both instances (just saying in case you're going to try it out).

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:44:24 am

Hi,

paste this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install ifuse

this should help somewhat as it has drivers for Iphones under ubuntu.

let me know if it helps.

The spacing on the bar might be down to the theming, try a different theme and see if it helps.

riclags

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34:29 am

Wolfman wrote:...
sudo apt-get install ifuse

Thanks for pointing this out to me, I didn't know that this existed. But I really only want to charge my iPhone and not mount it to Zorin OS. I haven't tried to check if there are ways to prevent "Autoplay" when plugging in devices (I'm optimistic there is a GUI way of handling this).

Although I'd like to know whether this issue is OS specific or LXDE specific. This is the first time I've used LXDE extensively so I wouldn't know.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:30:35 pm

hi,

here is a link about LXDE, let us know if you find something, I don't use Lite either sorry!!.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1732