This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED - well sorta!] Google Chrome is buggy

GBT7

Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47:52 am

After using the Zorin Web Browser Manager to uninstall and re-install chrome multiple times (because I can't find anywhere else to get the package) with bleachbit (both normal and root) to clean out some small temporary files after uninstalling, I have kept encountering a problem where when I maximize chrome the minimize, restore and close buttons disappear from the top unless I use the system title bar. Also, full screen (f11) does not show the address bar and tabs when moving the mouse to the top (as it did before). And this does not seem to be a bug but simply something that it never came with, if I download any appearance I cannot delete it. If I switch to any other appearance I cannot switch back unless I go to the page I downloaded the last one from. Since this is the first linux distro I have used so far and I am still quite new to it I have never had a need to use a SSH terminal before so if I should maybe fix it from a terminal please be very specific on what commands to use...

madvinegar

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15:02 am

Have you tried downloading the chrome deb file from the official page? https://www.google.com/chrome/
You download it, double click it and the the software center opens and you install it.

Just make sure first that all the other versions you installed are uninstalled.

You can do that either via synaptics package manager (the package is called google-chrome-stable so mark it for complete removal) or via terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get purge google-chrome-stable

Wolfman

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:42:18 pm

Hi,

have you fully updated your system??.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

spavila

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36:03 am

GBT7 wrote:After using the Zorin Web Browser Manager to uninstall and re-install chrome multiple times (because I can't find anywhere else to get the package) with bleachbit (both normal and root) to clean out some small temporary files after uninstalling, I have kept encountering a problem where when I maximize chrome the minimize, restore and close buttons disappear from the top unless I use the system title bar. Also, full screen (f11) does not show the address bar and tabs when moving the mouse to the top (as it did before). And this does not seem to be a bug but simply something that it never came with, if I download any appearance I cannot delete it. If I switch to any other appearance I cannot switch back unless I go to the page I downloaded the last one from. Since this is the first linux distro I have used so far and I am still quite new to it I have never had a need to use a SSH terminal before so if I should maybe fix it from a terminal please be very specific on what commands to use...

I have noticed this issue also with the missing buttons. This happened after Google Chrome was updated. The solution is quite simple. All you need to do is DOUBLE CLICK in a blank area of the tab section to get your buttons back.

I have included an image to illustrate.

Example #1:
This shows Google Chrome without the buttons.

Example #2:
Shows the option if you select to use the System Title Bar.

Example #3:
Shows the result after you DOUBLE CLICK in a blank area of the tab section. Actually, I prefer this setting.

If you have the System Title Bar turned on, turn it off to get back to no buttons; then DOUBLE CLICK in a blank area of the tab section to get the buttons without the title bar.

GBT7

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:22:51 am

Still found no suggestions that worked for me... Oh well

Wolfman

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:41:23 am

Hi,

there are new updates available, have you run the update manager??.

Or this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Another option is to open Synaptic and search for "google chrome" and mark it for re-installation!!.

You do have the stable version and not the beta don't you??.

GBT7

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:42:13 pm

Updating was nearly the first thing I tried :/
I have downloaded every version possible and none of them worked... Also I should probably note that it may even be something to do with the theme I'm using but I'm not too sure. Also, every time I uninstall and re install it I notice it keeps all of my stuff, so it may be an issue with some settings somewhere (even though Google chrome barely has any settings). I may also suspect a problem between it and compiz but once again I'm not too sure...

Wolfman

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:23:29 pm

Hi,

you can try uninstalling it again and mark it for "full removal" which should take out any remnants of it!!.

Have you tried "Chromium Browser" instead?.

GBT7

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50:01 pm

somehow marking for full removal doesn't fully remove any of the settings, themes, errors, or even apps... You're right... I should probably just use chromium

madvinegar

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:00:21 am

I have included the correct purge command on the 2nd post of this topic. I do not know if the OP has tried it.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47:58 pm

There us a new version of Google Chrome now available in the repo!!.

GBT7

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51:33 pm

been a long time since I have looked at this thread (I switched to firefox)... and also, using that command shows a package not found error. Thanks for the reccomendation on using ubuntu tweak but I already have it installed anyways.

GBT7

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07:44 pm

meh, go ahead