This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is this familiar to anyone?

gaving

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:15:21 pm

I just did a fresh install of Zorin 6 and gone into Terminal to omit the grub screen at boot which it does but just before the desktop loads, there is about a second or two of blank blue screen before the Zorin icon shows up .I hadn't really noticed that before!

Also, I have noticed that my wifi does not connect straight away like it used to. It shows on the top right of screen my wireless network saying not connected than about 5 or 6 seconds after, it vanishes and it comes up as connected. I don't remember that from the previous install (which was on another laptop).

A little thing I have also noticed is that if you autohide the panel, you can still see a tiny bit of the Zorin icon (size 24) so I have shrunk it down to 21, the lowest it will go to hide it properly although it is very tiny :)

Wolfman

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:53:25 pm

Hi,

have you fully updated your system??:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17:12 am

Hi,

look at the link I posted again, there is a section about "Broken Files", run the third option and see if this helps.

What graphics card do you have??.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:19:41 am

Desh wrote:Autohide the panel, yes, but can't change the theme :(

desh,

what theme are you using, you should be able to change the theme with Ubuntu Tweak!!.

see this guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:08:44 pm

Hi,

firstly, install the applets meta package for AWN with this command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

Secondly, you need right to click on the dock you wish to edit and then on "Dock Preferences". Check out "Preferences and Themes".

See also:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56:06 am

Hi Desh,

what exactly do you mean by "The desktop stops working", does it crash or break-up or freeze??.

Have you downloaded 3rd party AWN themes or tools from somewhere??.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57:30 am

Hi Desh,

I don't see your last post as critque but more a wish list, it is true that since the start of Gnome 3, things have not been made easier as everyone had hoped, it will of course take time to sort out all the problems and I am sure that the Gnome devs are aware of most of the problems.

Trying to use various bits 'N' pieces of different desktops might not be helping as possibly some things which work well in one environment, don't work well in another.

I have found that just sticking to either the Gnome 2 or Zorin Windows 7 look; I have few if no problems, I just want my desktop to be functional not pretty!!.

That is why I concentrated my post install guide on Gnome rather than AWN, because it is easier to configure in a few clicks.