This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Trouble uninstalling

misterfox20

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:04:40 pm

I have a computer and I am using Zorin OS as the only operating system. I have a Windows install CD and I would like to install windows 7 over Zorin, erasing it completely. However, when I try to install Windows 7, it tells me that all of my disk partitions are not formatted correctly. I then tried to manually uninstall Zorin so I could start from scratch. I followed the uninstall guide until the point when it told me to delete ext4 partition. When I try to unmount my ext4 partition (to delete it), it says "unmount: /home: device is busy"

How do I unmount and delete this partition?

Wolfman

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:10:53 pm

Hi,

you need a partitioning tool like "Gparted":

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

See this link about how to partiton, you basically have to do the reverse of this guide, delete all Linux partitions and then restart your PC with the W7 disk inserted, you can simply blank the whole drive if that is what you want to do:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

misterfox20

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:15:21 pm

I have GParted, but it shows a lock symbol next to the partitions I need to delete, and says they are busy when I try to unmount them.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:20:55 pm

You cannot use Gparted on a mounted system, (Because the partitions you want to erase are currently in use!) that is why you need to create a Gparted disk, boot your PC and make the changes to your partitions, please read the guide, there are tips about it there!!.

misterfox20

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:44:20 pm

OK everything seems to be going good, installing windows now.

thanks for the help!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46:54 am

Hi,

assuming you are set now, I will mark this as solved :D :D