This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Permissons part 2

athrun5

Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:27:44 pm

Is it possible to give 1 user or all complete full permissions to everything because I don't want to have to change every folder to my user as owner every time I make a folder or move one as its driving me crazy? Also is it possible to remove the password so I don't have to put it in like 20 times a day?

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:05:32 pm

Hi,

refer back to your other post about who gets what permissions, when you open the properties you can select the users. (For single files)

Use the User and Groups tool to do this globally. Check the manage groups and advance settings tabs.

Regards Wolfman :D

athrun5

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:16:42 pm

Thank you for your reply but I think I am going back to windows 7 as I never had this much trouble. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06:50 am

Hi,

if at first...........etc.

Why don't you start at the beginning, tell us what you did to cause your PC to ask for permissions, it may be that you encrypted your home or something, your info is a little vague.

Under normal circumstances; you as normal user would not have a permissions issue unless you laid several accounts on the system which would make it more complicated.

Give us some info about how you have your system set-up and maybe we can give you better assistance, it should be straightforward enough with the Users and Groups tool!!.

Don't give up on Linux so quickly, you won' regret it :D :D :D :D :D

To install the tool for "Users and Groups" paste the following command in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

You will find it in the menu under admin as "Users and Groups".

I must also apologise to you as I thought I had already pointed out the Users and Groups tool to you but I was thinking of another forum member so sorry for that :oops:

Users Settings_022.png

athrun5

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06:09 pm

This may be a little late but atleast I will know better next time So here I go, what I did was I installed linux as a clean format and it locked me out automatically. With the fact that there is so little amount of info with linux it made waiting for a response on here feel like forever. So anyways it was 1. full clean format of linux 2. 1 user only and it was labeled as admin. I think I can get the problem fixed next time I have it with that info. Thanks for your help.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:40:43 am

Hi,

my apologies once more for not being clearer myself.

I hope it works out for you.