This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

install firmware for samsung optical drive

etaeniura

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15:37 pm

I'm a new zorin/ubuntu user and have an older dell laptop. I replaced the CDrom drive with a DVD/CDRW combo and I'm having some issues:
-It will play DVD movies, and audio CD without issue
-it will recognize blank CD-r and blank CD-rw, however if I write to the blank media, it will not recognize the disc. The drive won't appear in file manager, and says "no media present" in the disk utility (these both work fine with blank discs)

There is a firmware upgrade on the samsung site for this drive (TS-L462A) but I can't figure out how to download and install it, since it only seems to give instructions for windows. I tried to do it with WINE, but says the file in not executable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:23:33 pm

Hi,

please see this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

There are points about updating among other things, install the Medibuntu PPA using the link provided and then install the packages "non-free-codecs" and "libdvdcss2" if not already installed.

Open synaptic and type in search "brasero" (Burner prog) and right click on the package and add the suggested packages should there be any.

I do not recommend using Windows firmware drivers under Linux even with Wine!!.

Can your drive read all disks formats, DVD- / + RW etc.

Regards wolfman :D