This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Using Zonet wireless USB adapter

rmcellig

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:41:07 pm

I have a Zonet ZEW2502 USB wireless adapter that I would like to use in Zorin OS> Is this possible? If so, what do I have to do to get it to work?

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00:48 am

Hi,

here is a vid link for you, it is silent but informative:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayK-PNmQ0nU

Windows Wireles Driver app is already installed in Zorin, do you have the driver disk for the device??.

Another link with a few tips:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422440

And last but not least, a very good read from "Mint Linux":

http://wiki.linuxmint-nl.org/index.php?title=MintWifi

Regards Wolfman :D

rmcellig

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:16:27 am

Hi Wolfman!

I have the cd that comes with the USB adapter but don't know what to do with it regarding how to install into Zorin. I will check out the links you posted.

Thanks!!!

rmcellig

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14:59 pm

I think what I am going to do is install the latest Zorin Lite on this older PC and then try to connect wirelessly based on the links you posted. Thanks Wolfman. I really hope this works because I am doing this for a friend of mine and really want her to have a positive Linux experience. :)

rmcellig

Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:53:51 pm

OK. This is how far along I am so far. When I select the internal Broadcom adapter, I connect to mmarocks quickly. When I try using the Marvell Wireless device option from the list, the icon keeps spinning in the upper right hand corner of my screen. What should I do? Is there any info I need to post back to this thread? I also want to mention that my Ethernet cable is not attached to my laptop when I am trying to connect using my Zonet USB adapter. I also restarted my laptop.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:54:18 pm

Hi,

right click the network icon on the panel then "Edit Connections". Click on Wireless and highlight your connection then on "Edit" and make sure that it is set to "connect automatically" and for "all users"!!.

Double check your password, the spinning wheel often means that the password is not correct!!.

rmcellig

Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:39:37 pm

Thanks!

I'm sending this reply with the Zonet activated. Only thing is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out how to get it to work all the time. I am going to google USB adapters that do work with Linux and are more reliable. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!! :)

Wolfman

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:54:57 am

Hi,

there are many USB models that Linux supports.

Here is an example of some models:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/hardware ... eless.html

Otherwise, just Google it!!.

See also:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Devices/USB

http://www.linux-drivers.org/network.html

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:16:49 pm

Here is my latest update. After testing the Zonet on my laptop, it was time to try it on the machine I need to deliver to a friend of mine that must work wirelessly. The computer is an IBM 818332U. I installed Zorin 6 Lite and I disconnected the Ethernet cable. I have the Zonet working but what is happening is that every time i restart the machine, I have to go into the terminal and type sudo modprobe ndiswrapper. After I do this,the wireless connection works. How can I have it so that I don't have to do this every time. Is there any other info you require from me?

Wolfman

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:36:20 pm

Hi,

question, are you booting the PC with the stick inserted or are you waiting until the PC boots before inserting the stick.

Try both methods and see if one of them works for you, I think that you should boot with the stick inserted, maybe MV can answer that better.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:53:03 pm

Yes. I boot with the stick already inserted. I will try inserting it after a reboot and post back.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:01:18 pm

No go. I always have to type sudo modprobe ndiswrapper to get it going. How can I check which version of ndiswrapper I am using? I didn't have to install it because it seems it was already installed when I installed Zorin 6 Lite on the PC. Lwt me know if there are any more commands you would like me to type.

madvinegar

Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:04:45 pm

Do this.

Open terminal and write
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modules

When the file will open, write in the last line the word
ndiswrapper

So your modules file will look something like this:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
lp
lp
lp
ndiswrapper

Save, reboot and check if it works.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06:32 pm

Nope. I still had to open the terminal and manually type in sudo modprobe ndiswrapper.

Maybe there is a way I can try this by running a crontab?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:00:23 pm

Are you sure that you have not made any spelling error?
If you add the ndiswrapper module in /etc/modules is basically the same thing as writing in terminal "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper".

Check again the /etc/modules file and make sure that the word "ndiswrapper" (without the quotes) is indeed added, save the file, exit, reboot, do not write in terminal "sudo modprobe ndiswrapper" and post the result of
Code:
lsmod | grep ndiswrapper

I want to see if the module is actually loaded after restart.

Also please post the contents of
Code:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

I want to see if ndiswrapper is blacklisted.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:08:06 pm

I just re entered ndiswrapper"

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
# at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.

lp
lp
lp
ndiswrapper
I will restart and follow your instructions in your last post and post back the results. Thanks!!!

madvinegar

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:11:09 pm

Option 2.
We can create a script which will run on startup.

Do the following
Open terminal and write:
Code:
sudo gedit /home/yourusername/ndiswrapperstartup.sh

Ofcourse replace "yoursusername" with... your username!

A blank file will open.
Insert inside the following contents
#!/bin/bash
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
exit 0

Save and exit.
Then write in terminal
Code:
sudo chmod a+x /home/yourusername/ndiswrapperstartup.sh

Again replace "yoursusername" with... your username!
This will give executable permissions to the script so as it can be run as a program.

Then go to start>startup applications, click on add, as name give i.e. "ndiswrapper start" and as command click on browse, navigate to file system>home>yourusername and select the ndiswrapperstartup.sh file that we have created.
You may need to press ctrl+H to reveal the file as it is a hidden file.

Save it, reboot and see if it works.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:22:23 pm

I restarted my machine twice and twice it has connected properly. Took a few seconds but it seems to have worked.

Here is the other output you requested:

home@zorin6lite:~$ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper 193669 0

Here is the output of the blacklist.conf file:

# This file lists those modules which we don't want to be loaded by
# alias expansion, usually so some other driver will be loaded for the
# device instead.

# evbug is a debug tool that should be loaded explicitly
blacklist evbug

# these drivers are very simple, the HID drivers are usually preferred
blacklist usbmouse
blacklist usbkbd

# replaced by e100
blacklist eepro100

# replaced by tulip
blacklist de4x5

# causes no end of confusion by creating unexpected network interfaces
blacklist eth1394

# snd_intel8x0m can interfere with snd_intel8x0, doesn't seem to support much
# hardware on its own (Ubuntu bug #2011, #6810)
blacklist snd_intel8x0m

# Conflicts with dvb driver (which is better for handling this device)
blacklist snd_aw2

# causes failure to suspend on HP compaq nc6000 (Ubuntu: #10306)
blacklist i2c_i801

# replaced by p54pci
blacklist prism54

# replaced by b43 and ssb.
blacklist bcm43xx

# most apps now use garmin usb driver directly (Ubuntu: #114565)
blacklist garmin_gps

# replaced by asus-laptop (Ubuntu: #184721)
blacklist asus_acpi

# low-quality, just noise when being used for sound playback, causes
# hangs at desktop session start (Ubuntu: #246969)
blacklist snd_pcsp

# ugly and loud noise, getting on everyone's nerves; this should be done by a
# nice pulseaudio bing (Ubuntu: #77010)
blacklist pcspkr

# EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
# from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
# continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
# really needed.
blacklist amd76x_edac

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:24:26 pm

I have one more related question that I have already posted on the Puppy Linux forum but I am wondering if you can comment as well.

If I got this to work in Zorin Lite, should I also be able to get it to work in Puppy Linux 5.2.8?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35:54 pm

So, just to understand, which option did it work for you? Option 1 (i.e. add ndiswrapper in /etc/modules) or option 2 (i.e. create a startup script)?

As regards your second question, I would suspect that you can make it work in puppy linux as well, but you will never know until. you try. :)

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:42:40 pm

Option 1 worked. I retyped ndiswrapper at the bottom of the file using nano, restarted my PC and it worked.

Regarding Puppy I was just wondering if there is something different I have to do. I will check with the Puppy gang.

How come I had to manually type in ndiswrapper for my wireless connection to work? And, how can I tell which version of ndiswrapper I am using? I have a feeling that 1.9 was pre-installed when I installed Zorin 6 Lite.

madvinegar

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:52:44 pm

Option 1 worked. I was almost shocked when in the beginning you said that it did not work... :D

Don't worry about having to add the module yourself. As you will probably read, ndiswrapper and windows drivers is the last resort (if everything else fails).
So, sometimes it may need 1 or 2 workarounds to fully get the job done.

As regards the version, you can open synaptics package manager, type "ndiswrapper-utils" and check the version that is installed. It must be the 1.9.

rmcellig

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:55:24 pm

Thanks so much for everyone in this thread helping me out!!! I really appreciate it!

rmcellig

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:37:01 pm

I'll second that!