This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Pinning programs to default zorin/avant task bar

razedafear

Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:33:57 am

Hi

I want to pin some programs to avant task bar like terminal and other browsers for easy access. I cant figure out how. I can do it if i add a new doc but not the default zorin menu dock.
I remember doing it simply by drag and drop in case of a genome menu in ubuntu versions. cant figure out this avant here.

Any clue?

Cheers
Mark

madvinegar

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:26:40 am

I suppose you are referring to the win7 look.
You need first to create a desktop launcher.
To do this, Go to start>menu find the application you need and drag n drop it on the desktop.
Then right click on it, go to properties>permissions tab and click the box that says "allow executing as a program" (if it is not already ticked).
Then drag n drop it on the awn bar. It usually works when you drop it between the other icons i.e between file manager and rythmbox icons.

You can then delete the desktop launcher you created.

razedafear

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38:32 am

madvinegar wrote:I suppose you are referring to the win7 look.
You need first to create a desktop launcher.
To do this, Go to start>menu find the application you need and drag n drop it on the desktop.
Then right click on it, go to properties>permissions tab and click the box that says "allow executing as a program" (if it is not already ticked).
Then drag n drop it on the awn bar. It usually works when you drop it between the other icons i.e between file manager and rythmbox icons.

You can then delete the desktop launcher you created.

Not working...tried with VMware icon. allowed executing program, gave read write access, but the drag and drop doe not pin it to the bar.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:51:43 am

Hi,

have you tried opening the app you want to pin and when its icon shows up in the panel, right click the newly opened icon and then on "Pin Application". If you have a 2nd panel, drag the icon directly from the menu to the panel where you want the icon, you should see a blue "Plus" sign, drop it beside that!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:56:27 am

razedafear

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:45:58 am

madvinegar wrote:Just uploaded a video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9nuXeXw ... e=youtu.be

This is exactly what i am doing. but for some reasons the icon just does not pin to the taskbar :(. I have allowed the permission as executable for the program icon.

razedafear

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:46:50 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

have you tried opening the app you want to pin and when its icon shows up in the panel, right click the newly opened icon and then on "Pin Application". If you have a 2nd panel, drag the icon directly from the menu to the panel where you want the icon, you should see a blue "Plus" sign, drop it beside that!!.

No option as "Pin Application" when i right click

razedafear

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:11:49 am

razedafear wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Hi,

No option as "Pin Application" when i right click

Made a video for this. Sorry it was .ogv and ytube does not like that, it has to be on google docs then.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B83wmPg ... l5Uzg/edit

madvinegar

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:11:45 pm

Ok try this.

Firstly try to pin the app between the chrome and the file manager icon (not on the right of the file manager).
If this doesn't work, try the following:

Log out, in the login menu click on the "Z" button and select the "zorin desktop fallback mode". This will log you on your desktop without the 3D effects.

After you log back in, try to pin the app on the task bar again (if needed follow the whole process from the beginning i.e. create a desktop icon, give permissions to it and then drag it on the bar).

If it works and the app is pinned on the bar, then logout again, click the "Z" button and select again the "Zorin desktop" mode so as to get back to your desktop with full effects.

razedafear

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:29:43 pm

madvinegar wrote:Ok try this.

Firstly try to pin the app between the chrome and the file manager icon (not on the right of the file manager).
If this doesn't work, try the following:

Log out, in the login menu click on the "Z" button and select the "zorin desktop fallback mode". This will log you on your desktop without the 3D effects.

After you log back in, try to pin the app on the task bar again (if needed follow the whole process from the beginning i.e. create a desktop icon, give permissions to it and then drag it on the bar).

If it works and the app is pinned on the bar, then logout again, click the "Z" button and select again the "Zorin desktop" mode so as to get back to your desktop with full effects.

Awsome. It worked. Thanks mate.. :) !!!

madvinegar

Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:13:35 pm

razedafear wrote:
Awsome. It worked. Thanks mate.. :) !!!

Great! I suppose you had to get the desktop in fallback mode.
I got the idea from AZorin actually. In one of his posts he said that awn dock may be a little unstable especially with nvidia cards (this is an ubuntu bug in which they are working on resolving). However, if you want the awn dock to be 100% stable, change the desktop effects to fallback mode!

So this is why I told you to try like that! And it proved that I was right... :D