This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't open GnoMenu

barkhat

Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:26:55 am

I am posting anew since I noticed after I posted on the other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2659&p=12066#p12066

that it was marked solved. It said to :

run these commands in a terminal: ( To open a terminal Ctrl + Alt + t )

sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

sudo apt-get update

followed by:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Then restart your PC.

I did that. This fix worked for me. Then I went and changed the theme and it stopped again. Does this mean everytime I need to run the same commands and then reboot? Is there a way to make the fix permanent?

Thank you.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24:38 am

Hi,

did you install the graphic card drivers??.

System settings > Hardware > Additonal Drivers (ATI & Nvidia only)

Regards Wolfman :D

barkhat

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:33:04 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Yes, and "no proprietary drivers are in use on this system."

Starting anew today and things seem to be back in order. I hope it doesn't happen again.

barkhat

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:23:27 am

barkhat wrote:

Starting anew today and things seem to be back in order. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Ok, I spoke too soon. It has happened again. I don't know what to do.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:17:07 am

barkhat wrote:

Hi,

were there any drivers in the list for you to activate?, if there are, click on "Recommended".

See also the 3rd option in the "Fixing Broken Packages" section here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

barkhat

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:42:08 am

Hi,

were there any drivers in the list for you to activate?, if there are, click on "Recommended".

See also the 3rd option in the "Fixing Broken Packages" section here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D[/quote]

Hi Wolfman

there was nothing in the box at all when I opened the additional drivers and the message "no proprietary drivers are in use on this system'. I will check this link you have provided, also. Thank you.

barkhat

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:37:42 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Could we also have details of your machine and its specifications please? Memory, Graphics card, and whether other operating systems are present (dual boot with Windows?)

Yes. I have 3GB memory; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 Ghz x2
Intel965GMx86/MMX/SSE2 (graphics)
32 bit OS
60 GB disk

Dual boot with Windows 7

When I tried the instructions and did the upgrade, it shows Ubuntu 12.05LTS now on my Zorin.

kengator

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:04:38 am

When I tried the instructions and did the upgrade, it shows Ubuntu 12.05LTS now on my Zorin.

Hi Barkhat,

If you're referring to the text on the unity greeter screen (bottom left on the login screen), this is the result of a post zorin6 release update to the unity greeter. A .PNG file got replaced. To change back, do the following:

1. Open the Terminal program from the Accessories menu in the Start menu
2. When the Terminal is opened type the following in and hit enter: sudo nautilus
3. Press "File System" in the left pane of the file browser
4. Navigate to "usr → share → unity-greeter" and paste the "logo.png" file (attached to this post)
5. Click OK when it asks you to overwrite a file

That's it. Good luck.

kengator
logo.png
logo.png (6 KiB)

barkhat

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:16:27 am

kengator wrote:

Hi Barkhat,

If you're referring to the text on the unity greeter screen (bottom left on the login screen), this is the result of a post zorin6 release update to the unity greeter. A .PNG file got replaced. To change back, do the following:

1. Open the Terminal program from the Accessories menu in the Start menu
2. When the Terminal is opened type the following in and hit enter: sudo nautilus
3. Press "File System" in the left pane of the file browser
4. Navigate to "usr → share → unity-greeter" and paste the "logo.png" file (attached to this post)
5. Click OK when it asks you to overwrite a file

That's it. Good luck.

kengator
logo.png

OK, will do, Ken.

Thanks.

barkhat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15:44 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
barkhat wrote:
swarfendor437 wrote:Could we also have details of your machine and its specifications please? Memory, Graphics card, and whether other operating systems are present (dual boot with Windows?)

Yes. I have 3GB memory; Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 Ghz x2
Intel965GMx86/MMX/SSE2 (graphics)
32 bit OS
60 GB disk

Dual boot with Windows 7

Thanks for providing more details of your machine spec. Clearly there are no additional drivers available for your system as it uses Intel Graphics - the additional drivers are primarily for wireless chipsets and in respect of Graphics - for nVidia and ATi (now AMD) cards only.

There appears to be a bug with regard to your particular chipset and Ubuntu 12.04 on which Zorin 6 is based:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/976660

Thank you for that information, swarfendor437. Am I supposed to do something on that site? I don't quite understand what I am looking at.

barkhat

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:04:07 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Basically it is a known 'bug' = Ubuntu (Canonical) have not resolved/written code to solve this problem with your particular chipset and it looks like a whole load of other people are having the same issue - remember Canonical is far bigger than Zorin and will have a large number of Devs working on it. Zorin (apart from the two brothers) employs just 2 devs (information from interview with Dark Duck).

Ok, thanks. I don't understand all the technical stuff. I do see and appreciate, however, the Zorin forum! People are so helpful, courteous (a seeming rare commodity these days), and quick to respond. Plus, this is an impressive OS to boot!

kengator

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11:34 am

Just to let everyone know, Canonical is releasing a planned maintenance update fro Ubuntu this week: 12.04.1. It's supposed to be the first of four scheduled maintenance updates for LTS. It may possibly have some fixes that everyone is looking for. No guarantees but it may be worth keeping an eye out for it.

kengator

madvinegar

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:01:49 am

That sounds like good news.