This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help properly pinning app to taskbar

schwim

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:58:22 pm

Zorin 6 Ultimate patched, win 7 look

Hi there everyone,

I have two installs and both are working differently.

I placed a firefox icon on my taskbar and it works the way it should. When it's minimized, clicking the icon will bring up the applcation and when I hover over the icon, I can see how many windows are open.

Now for my problematic icon:

I installed Komodo editor. On one Zorin install, I dragged the desktop icon down to the task bar and it works great. graphic image is correct, clicking brings up app, and hovering shows window. On my other install, I dragged it down and it lost it's image. I restored the image but if I click the icon, it tries to open another Komodo application. Hovering shows nothing. The only way I can get back to the application is by alt-tab. I can't restore the window from the taskbar.

I don't know what I did differently between the two, but could someone tell me what I can do to get a properly working icon for the Komdo editor on my taskbar?

Thanks for your time!

Wolfman

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:46:06 pm

Hi,

open a terminal and type the name of any app you want to start, when the app starts, look at the panel then right click the open app and "Pin application".

Regards Wolfman :D

schwim

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:05:28 am

Hi there wolfman and thanks for your help.

When I follow your instructions, the only thing on the panel is the terminal. The editor does not show there. If I minimize it, it's effectively disappeared from view and requires alt-tab to gain it's focus again.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57:54 am

Hi schwim,

are you using Windows look??, if you are, see this guide about adding another panel:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Especially this first part:

"Start your PC and log in to your new Zorin desktop, I will be using Gnome 2 as my example so if you wish to use the Windows 7 desktop, please ignore the bits that don't apply to you.
(If you do want to use the Windows 7 desktop; make sure you add another AWN panel and set it to the top of your desktop, if you don't, when you minimize an open prog, it may well disappear and you won't be able to access it again!!. It happened to me in a test version of Zorin 6RC in Windows 7 mode!!. Also you might want to add the package "awn-applets-all" which is a meta package for AWN.)

To install the meta package I was referring to, open a terminal and paste this command:

sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

2 links for the Avant Window Navigator (AWN):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714111

http://wiki.awn-project.org/FAQ

For more info about the AWN (Avant Window Manger), please see below." (End quote)

Hope this helps you further.

schwim

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:46:54 pm

Hi there wolfman, I followed that thread after my install but didn't install a bar on top because:

1) I don't want to lose additional vertical space

2) Firefox and file manager both work fine on the bottom taskbar, meaning that they will restore the app to focus.

Is there no way to get other apps' icons to act the same as the firefox and file manager?

Wolfman

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:53:46 pm

Hi,

you can set the top panel to auto hide so you won't lose space on your desktop!!, open dock preferences > behaviour > intellihide.

Some apps will pin okay, I think this is a problem caused by the mixture of desktop software that Zorin is using but cannot be sure!!.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19:43 am

I just do it like this.

First open the menu and find the app you want.
Then drag n drop it on the desktop to create a desktop launcher.
Right click it, go to properties>permissions tab and make sure that the box "allow executing as a program" is ticked.
Then just drag n drop the desktop launcher on the bar.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:57:48 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:I just tried that, worked first time,

You just need to do it once...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Putting the fun aside, it works everytime in my laptop swarf.

madvinegar

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:57:32 am

madvinegar

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:50:12 am

You want me to delete the video from youtube and from this forum? Just say the word.
I only did it to show to members how it works.