This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Graphics not stable on Laptop NEO...

mtrinidad3

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26:14 am

Hi Zorin team,

I have a graphics problem on my NEO laptop. I recently install a Zorin 6 on a USB stick using netbootin, I run live CD option on my PC and it works perfectly fine. But when I run it on my laptop with the same option (run live CD) which is a NEO with Intel Dual Core cpu and a 2GB memory, the graphics seems to give up. It keeps on blinking and sometimes only the desktop icons can be seen and sometimes only the Z logo on the lower left side.

Your feedback is highly appreciated.Thank you.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:50:56 am

Hi,

have you tried booting the live CD using the 2nd option which is safe graphics mode?.

You can try typing "nomodeset" from the boot menu in the live DVD, press the Tab Key and then a command line will appear, type the command and press enter.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Regards Wolfman :D

mtrinidad3

Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45:30 am

Yes I have tried the safe graphics mode and the same result, I will try this "nomodeset" command. Thanks wolfman. By the way does it matter if the storage medium I am using is a USB stick or a DVD media?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:52:30 am

mtrinidad3 wrote:By the way does it matter if the storage medium I am using is a USB stick or a DVD media?

Normally it shouldn't but you never know (i.e. if the drive is damaged, or the iso burning in the CD was not performed correctly etc.)

When you get to your desktop, open terminal and write
Code:
jockey-gtk

In the window that will open see if there are any recomended drivers to be enabled for your card. If yes, enable them , restart and see if that works better for you.

If not, please post back the result of the terminal command
Code:
lspci

mtrinidad3

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:04:34 am

Hi Zorin group,

I finally found out the trouble of my NEO Laptop. It seems that my usb port or flash drive is defective since when I entered "nomodeset" from the boot menu letter "p" starts appearing as if I long pressed the button "p" in the keyboard. But when I remove my bootable usb and used the bootable DVD instead, it turns out okay. But there is a prompt in the desktop when already inside the GUI it says "Sorry, the program "nautilus" closed unexpectedly" and my "Z" start-up button on the lower leftside cannot be clicked or navigated.By the way I'm still running Live CD option as of right now. Can "nomodeset" be applicable at this point?since I did not used it when I used the DVD already.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

mtrinidad3

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:36:57 am

Okay, thanks swanfendor437...I'll make a feedback once I've finished my installation...