This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Why can't I change Gnomenu and the panel?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:48:42 am

Could you please be more specific?

Did you right-click on the panel and selected "dock-preferences"?

Try also to hold pressed super key (windows key)+alt and then right click the bar with you mouse.

What changes would you like to make to the bar?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:26:59 pm

Hi,

open a terminal and paste this command:

sudo apt-get install awn-applets-all

This will install all of the applets for AWN and maybe a few odds "n" sods that you may need.

Regards Wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:12:51 pm

Hi,

have you fully updated the system:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Regards wolfman :D

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:32:27 pm

Hi,

there are also tips to be found in the post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

Wolfman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:11:42 pm

Hi,

in the guide there is info about the webupd8 PPA which offers you more themes, I am using the "gnomish" set combined with "Crux" myself.

I know you have read it but you might want to try the PPA anyway.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

AZorin

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09:37 pm

You are able to change the AWN settings by right clicking on the panel and pressing "Dock Preferences". This will open a window with all of AWN's preferences including the orientation, size and theme of the panel. Please note that changing the settings in AWN may not work when running Zorin OS from a Live DVD or Live USB. When I mentioned that re-installing AWN may cause some instability, I meant that it might delete the Zorin OS default settings of AWN (including the theme, launchers, applets, etc.), making it have dramatically reduced functionality by default (the only applets that are active in vanilla AWN's default configuration are the Task Manager and Preferences applets) which can look unusable to some users.

GBT7

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13:49 pm

I'm going to add another simple question to this thread.
How do I change the button look of GnoMenu from a blue/black Z to a different style?
(I already have a button theme installed but it refuses to load)

GBT7

Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:12:47 pm

nope... still can't figure out how to fix it :/ (gnomenu tried to close when the screenshot was taken, please ignore that). I have all of those themes selected and applied but the ony one that works is SlicknesS

You kinda gotta zoom out to see the full image...

gingerman431

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:19:49 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi bkotter, Glad you got it sorted! I had forgotten I had ditched that applet and put the combined one on which is what looks like you have in that last screenshot? Correct me if I am wrong! :D

Hi Swarfendor, what happened to bkotter's posts? He'd been giving great tips. I think this one was started by bkotter.

gingerman431

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:22:17 am

Hi Swarfendor437,

I downloaded the 64 bit Zorin OS 6 and the Awn panel reacts to any settings, and the Gnomenu can be changed, but the only thing that cannot be changed is Zorin to Gnoblue as buttons.

By the way, have you seen the Adroid desktop? It is really a lovely one with live wallpapers etc. I can connect to the wired and wireless too. Thinking, whether I should give more time for that. It is just 193 MB and that too with the eye candy! :)

Wolfman

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:55:08 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Having checked the members lists following a search, he appears to have left the forums like Ariya - which is a pity as they both had a lot to offer - or its the Russian spammers playing silly beggars after being permanently banned by yours truly! And all the time while I am writing this reply, my browser goes dim then bright, dim then bright! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi Swarf,

I know you don't like Firefox but it has an add-on called "Browser Protect" which I also use, might protect you somewhat as I have also had problems connecting to the Zprin forum, since installing BP; I have no problems at all!!.

gingerman431

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:37:59 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

Google maybe sinister, but that Android is a pretty nice. You remember Meego? And Joli OS? They were going in a newer path. Meego had stopped, but I still have Meego, Moblin and all of them are working. There maybe no mor eupdates, but they'd keep on working. You see, even Windows went that way with Win 8. With Android, you just push the window or desktop or the screen, whatever we name it to a side and the next flows in with a different set of apps or files or whatever. You can have your favorites and in beautiful rectangular slices--not excatly icons--and everything is easy on th eeye. I don't know whether one could install Firefox. Whatever it is, that Android is just 193 MB and these our "looks" look like oldies.

By the way, I found an interesting tutorial about Cairo dock. Have a look. :)
http://glx-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=Tutor ... on&lang=en

Take care! :)