This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help installing Zorin OS 6 Ultimate on external hard drive.

zedzeronone

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:43:37 pm

Hello forum how is everyone ? My mission is to learn how to install Zorin OS 6 Ultimate on an external hard drive & boot directly from this external hard drive. I have had success in the past doing similar dual boots with different OS's and several hard drives. I can manage dual booting two OS's on two internal hard drives using some of the open source software available on the net. I even understand the concept of "persistence" installations on external media. I am ,however, hitting a road block when trying to understand installing and booting from an external hard drive on the computer i am currently tweaking. Here is my system layout::::::::::::::Gateway laptop NV53A > processor = AMD phenom II X3 N830 > Graphics = ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 > RAM = 4 GB DDR3 >500 GB hard drive. The EXTERNAL hard drive i wish to install Zorin on is a 500 GB Western Digital My Passport Essential Portable usb 3.0 + 2.0. I thoroughly searched the forum for days and only found one or two instances of someone doing something similar. By the way, i am running Windows 7 Home Premium on this computers INTERNAL HDD. Thanks for any help in advance. This is a project for my mother and brother to get them interested in Linux distros as a viable alternative. I think the Zorin team has much promise, as i have used Linux mint, Ubuntu & Fedora. I think this is a great thing for users who may have never used a Linux box. I was quite impressed when using the Live Disk I created. I actually preferred it to Windows 7 since it looks just as nice and seems very nimble, while still catering to multimedia aspects of computing. I may even get my grandmother involved in using this OS. Great job guys/gals. By the way sorry for Mitt Romney...lol...what an embarrassment.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:48:10 pm

Hi,

this might be what you want:

http://www.howtogeek.com/97177/how-to-p ... -the-mess/

Regards Wolfman :D

madvinegar

Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:23:03 am

It is the same as installing the OS on an internal drive, however if your computer has windows on it, and you want to use zorin only when pluging in the external drive, make sure that the grub menu is installed on the external drive!